eggplant

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

ticktock

Gina
I have to ask, as I know no one else who has done the Lovenox shots. Did your tummy turn the color of an eggplant? Or did I just inject incorrectly? I gave myself the first few, then had Dad do them. He was a medic in the Navy, and is a Pharmacist (PHD). I was on the shots for two weeks, prior to gall bladder surgery. It really made for a lot of shots, and a LOT of nasty bruising. Im pretty used to being bruised, but that was awful looking! What was your experience?

One of the reasons for looking like an eggplant may have been a little of the medication on the outside of the needle. People are taught to expel any air from the syringe before giving a shot. However, this causes some of the medication to be outside the needle. In the case of heparin, this causes bruising. With Lovenox there is 0.01cc of nitrogen in the syringe to protect the medication from the air. The dose is accurately measured in the syringe. This small amount of nitrogen is not enought to cause any problem when it is injected. The bubble is not supposed to be blown out. But everyone does it out of habit.

Hi Mindy

The only time I have had discoloration on my abdomen using the Lovenox is when...accidentally hit a vein and popped it causing bruising. They are hard to see in that location.

Take your alcohol prep....pres down and rub.They usually become more noticeable so you can avoid the area.

Have not been told to expel the first drop to remove the air bubble from the syringe....have not had problems.

As your INR comes back up you may have a bit more bruising. Comes along with the package.

Let us know how it turns out for you. I know it's not fun.

Hang in there.

One nurse never left bruise marks on me when administering the needle and I asked her secret. She said most don't take the time to press firmly as the needle is extracted. The area must be pressed long enough for bleeding to cease. O/W it seeps under the skin, leaving a big bruise.

Lovenox injections

Lovenox injections

Hi Mndy,
I have to take the Lovenox injections when I travel. I was told to stick my theigh. That seems to work okay with minimal bruising.
Hope that helps,
fdeg

hahahha

hahahha

What a bunch of info you guys have! Thanks!!!! I am amazed, I used to think I was such a unique person out there in the world. I am repeatedly amazed at the number of you guys and the experiences we all share.

MY Docs Nurse told me NOT to rub or PRESS on the area around the injection, as that would cause bleeding and bruises. Now, Im gonna have to go and pull that insert, which I SHOULD have done in the first place................And by the way, how about that cost??

The cost is about $100 per day.

One insurance plan that I know of here in Colorado has a $250 deductable but then you can get up to 30 days.

Mindy.....

Have been enrolled under two different PPO insurance plans in the past 2 years that covered the injections with just my $10 copay.

At Walgreens a box of ten went for about $1000 as Al stated. What a deal huh?

I am negotiating with that insurance company to get them to lower the co-pay.

Braver than I!

Braver than I!

I did the Lovenox for 3 days before my Hysterectomy. I injected my thighs, as the thought of injecting my tummy scared me. I had bruising, but nothing significant. I get worse bruises from running into desks, tables, dressers, etc. Being on Coumadin and bruising easily seems to really emphasize my clumsiness! I constantly have bruises on the backs of my hands from swinging them into things!

What am I supposed to do?

What am I supposed to do?

One time when I picked up my prescription, I noticed that the box inside the bag seemed smaller than usual--I opened it up and found that they had sent the Lovenox in ampoules (glass viles, no needles)... I went back to the girl and asked her for some syringes and she said "no, I can't do that without a prescription and besides, I don't have any". I wanted to say to her "What am I supposed to do, drink it?" Anyway I called my doctor, he didn't call back, the next day I called again, he didn't answer his page, so I went up to his office (in a hospital), thinking the staff all knows me, have my records, plus they have a hospital full of syringes. I get there, they also said no, they couldn't give me any without his authorization--again, he was supposed to be there and wasn't, so I just waited (meanwhile my flight to Paris was in three hours and you are supposed to start the injections 12hrs prior to departure. finally got him on the phone and he called in the script to the pharmacy across the street........

Getting the liquid into the needles requires some practice--I hated doing it.

I pretty much know my travel schedule in advance so now I just go on the Coumadin a few weeks prior and stop in between trips. I much prefer doing it this way.

Moral of the story, beware of Lovenox in small boxes.........
Happy Labour Day!

hoot!

hoot!

degran
is that a hoot or what?? no, you CANNOT have syringes. You CAN however, have a vicious blood thinning drug in vast quantities. Heaven forbid you have a needle with which to inject it. I laugh sometimes at the stupidity of the system.

Back