Effects of High Altitudes post-op (contemplating Mauna Kea trip)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been up there a few times. At the 9,000 foot station mostly everyone is fine. But at 14,000 a lot of people act a bit drunk, and some seemed to be short of breath if they walked fast. On the other hand, it is amazing up there. If you can be there at dusk when the shutters open on some of the telescopes it is really spectacular. And if you can time your visit for when the moon has not risen you will quickly understand why telescopes are on mountains. Even if the moon is up it is very cool.

Hi enkaynj
I do get what you mean, but as I did the 'damage' to my heart running a 'massive' 45km mountain run, I think
it would be pushing my luck too far! I am 74 age next month. No use looking like a 'crippled old man' just to see if
I can run it again!
See Ya
Brian

Hi enkaynj
I do realise that you are going by car, I am sure you will be fine. I slightly hijacked your forum, with a question of my own!
A few people who replied to you mentioned about running/walking at 'high' altitude.
See Ya
Brian

PS: I see that you had same valve implanted I month before me.

OK, so we went to Mauna Kea and we're back. Rented a 4WD from Harper Rentals (the only one that will rent 4WD that are permitted to go up to the top). We spent 45 min at the visitor center at 9000 ft. As we started to get back in the 4WD, I noticed my wife and kids put on really long faces. They were scared that something would happen to me if we went all the way up. I finally relented and U-turned back to the visitor center. I know, after all the preparation that went to it, I finally chickened out at the last minute. But the trip was not wasted by any means. We stayed for star gazing till 10 PM. It was so amazing. We had never seen so many stars shine so bright. The rangers were chock-full-of facts and had set up telescopes in the patio. They gave a laser-pointer guided constellation tour which was simply out of this world. Later I heard that the stars are not as clear even at the summit because human vision gets impaired at such low levels of oxygen at 14000 ft compared to 9000 feet. Made me feel much better.
If you get a chance to go there, don't miss the opportunity. Even regular cars can go to the 9000 feet visitor center. no need to rent a 4WD like I did. Beyond that, you need a 4WD. We saw a 2WD car all mangled up that was being towed back from the summit road. I heard that they can charge $1500-$2000 just to tow it back down.

Hi

... It was so amazing. We had never seen so many stars shine so bright.

welcome to the world I grew up in, one before light pollution became the normal obscuring many of the stars. It is something city people seldom see anymore. I'm truly glad you and your kids glimpsed it

southernStars.jpg

:)

Latest posts

Back