Echocardiogram vs TEE

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiemember

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I know this topic has been discussed before but I can't seem to find the original thread. I remember reading somewhere on here about how an echocardiogram was more accurate for some things (was it measurements??) and a TEE was more accurate for the condition of the valve??? Basically, can someone help me out with what the two tests are more reliable for measuring??

Hi......

Hi......

Hi there, sorry I dont have the answer to your question !!!!! Have never had a TEE. ** I have moderate regurgation and have tons of symptoms and I wondered are you the same or how does it affect you?????

Hi,

I believe that a TEE does indeed give the doc a really good look at the heart valves, better than a regular echo, because it is so much closer to the heart without any ribs and much less tissue.

I don't know for certain about the regular echo being better for measurements of the heart in general, but I believe it is what is used to measure the heart as opposed to the TEE.

There is a lot of information not only here, but on the web in general about both tests. Try googling both.

Good luck.

Very good question Jeanne!

I don't mean to hijack your thread but..

Can anyone compare a cardiac MRI to an echo and TEE?

I asked my cardioogist for a TEE so i could get a more definitive assessment of my MR ( he had changed original diagnosis from "moderate to severe" to "moderate") and he was reluctant but then offered the MRI. Any opinions about that test?

Thanks for the input.

Susie

Hi...

Hi...

I think you are correct with your assumptions. I always was monitored with echo for all the measurements and did not have a TEE until they wanted a really good look at the valve.

The TEE is still not absolutely conclusive in regard to the valve condition. In my case after having had the TEE I was advised that the valve was in such bad shape I would need a replacement however when the surgeon go in there he was able to do a repair.

All the best.

Cheers,

Chris

Tee

Tee

Hi,

My husband, Chris, had a TEE (also known as a TOE here in Melb!) prior to his surgery to see if he was able to be a candidate for the ross procedure. It was a much more accurate way (compared to the echo) of measuring the heart valve diameters etc

All the best,
Yolanda (Chris' wife)

I had two TOEs, one when I was actually on the operating table at the beginning of my OHS so they could assess my aortic valve as to whether they would replace that at the same time as the mitral valve.

That would probably confirm what you asked about checking the valve aussiemember.

EireCara said:
Hi there, sorry I dont have the answer to your question !!!!! Have never had a TEE. ** I have moderate regurgation and have tons of symptoms and I wondered are you the same or how does it affect you?????

Hi EireCara - I have moderate/severe regurgitation but have no ongoing symptoms. Certainly sounds like you need to have something done ASAP with all your symptoms. Good luck with everything - Jeanne

Latest posts

Back