Echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarno1973

Today had my 8 month follow up with my surgeon. I am doing very well but down the road there have been some small uncertainties. After mentioning one of them to the surgeon he recommended to have another echo done (just to check if nothing strange would come up). After my first surgery, my first echo at around 6 months immediately showed big problems and I think my surgeon does not want to take any risk with me this time. The result of my last echo at 6 months (after 2nd surgery) I was told was not bad but I did not feel like it was especially good either. Every other echo has only been disaster and bad news. The cardiologist today spent a real long time on the echo which made me start to worry again. Once finished however, he took a very long time for explanation and told me every thing looked good about it. All values are in range and the heart is apparently reshaping well.

One small downside to it all..he told me "I think this valve will last you a lot longer than the other one...maybe even up to 10 years"...

What????? I am expecting this On-X to last me a life time....I did not make an issue out of it but I am assuming that as a cardiologist he does not have in depth knowledge about artificial valves.

In general I think it was good news and it made me feel I am on the right track..

Just wanted to share..

Regards,

Jarno

Well that sounds like good news to me!
Strange comment from your cardio about the On-X only lasting up to 10 years. Do you think he had a slip in the moment and was thinking you had another tissue valve?
I have always read that many of the mechanical valves are supposed to last the rest of your life assuming there are no complications.

Focus on the positive! :)

Sounds like a good echo. I would query your cardiologist about 10 years comment. Mechanical valves are not likely to wear out that quick.

Sounds like a good echo. I would query your cardiologist about 10 years comment. Mechanical valves are not likely to wear out that quick.

The comments came from the guy who does the echo. Don't even know if he is cardiologist. All my follow up is still with my surgeon and I never heard anything similar from him. If true it would s.ck but I am assuming it's not.

The comments came from the guy who does the echo. Don't even know if he is cardiologist. All my follow up is still with my surgeon and I never heard anything similar from him. If true it would s.ck but I am assuming it's not.

He may have been a cardiac scientist, somone trained in doing cardiac echo only, so his comemnts may have been misguided, and yes indeed, may even have thinking you had a tissue value rather than a mechanical valve. Don't worry, but next time don't leave wondering, ask questions straight away, and always take notes. I have a superb memory, but when nervous and taking beta blcokers and ace inhibitors and statins and with someo0ne in a white coat prodding you its very easy to miss what they are saying, so now I always say, now let me make a note of that please...you want me back when? and why? and what dose should I take of this? But the other doctor said this, and the nirse said that, so what do YOU want me to take, blah blah. Its a wonder we can rememebr half of what is said to us to be honest.

If the echo was done in a hospital setting, it was a tech who doesn't look at your medical history to know what type of valve you have. He perhaps assumed you had a tissue valve, which does have a short lifespan, not know you went with the newer mechanical one, which lasts from 20 to life. Don't put the tech down, he was speaking out of turn and now knowledgable to talk to you in that way. Talk with you cardio and and surgeon and you will be fine. I am sure he did not mean any real fear for you, he just did not know. You are a brave one. Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back