Echo % weeks post op!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creed3

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I just had an echo done post op to make sure everything is working fine. These are my results. Cardio says that echo was very good. Mechanical aortic valve is OK. Heart function is OK. Mitral valve is leaking slightly. He told me it is trivial. The leak has me concerned. He said that it could have been something I have always had. He said he never even heard anything to indicate a leak when he checked me out 2 weeks post op. I had the leak when they did my first echo in August. It was also there right after my surgery, but the docs in Cleveland never mentioned it. My cardio here at home says that these leaks usually don't ever amount to anything but that he will keep an eye on it. They never really determined what caused my aortic tear and prolapse. There was no disease or anything. They think it was my pregnancies. The doc says that there is always a chance there is a conective tissue weakness going on and that I may have trouble in the future with the mitral valve. That is why they have me on a beta blocker to help prevent anything further from happening. I guess I just thought once I had my surgery, that would be it. Now I am worried I may have to have surgery years down the road. I was starting to feel really good and kind of back to normal. Now this just has me feeling a little depressed again. I just don't want to keep worrying about this the rest of my life. There is a good chance that nothing will ever become of this trivial mitral leak. As you can tell, I am a worrier. Sorry about the rambling on. I guess I just needed to get this off my chest, so to speak...lol!!!!

Take Care Everyone!
Creed

Worries

Worries

As you said,you "may need surgery down the road".
If that comes to pass,so be it,it's only in your best interest,but what I'm getting at is,stop worrying about something that MAY happen down the road,in future years,enjoy today and tomorrow and you'll be ok.
I'm sure someone on the board that has a better handle on this sort of thing will join in,cause I'm kinda shootin from the hip:rolleyes:

Jim

Hi Creed-

Now listen to mama Nancy, please. Never worry about something that is written on a piece of paper. Everyone's valves leak a little. "Symptoms" is the operative word here. If your card isn't worried and the surgeon isn't worried, and CC isn't worried and you are feeling fine, enjoy your good fortune.

The leak most likely will stay trivial and if you worry yourself sick, then you would have wasted so much good time. That's a shame.

Go out, have a nice dinner and see a good movie, start living, kiddo.

May need down the road, is a two edged sword.

May have an automobile crash, robbery, food poisioning, etc. Can't live life waiting for that shoe to fall.

On the other hand, a cardio 7 years ago detected my aortic stenosis at mild stage and told me "maybe" in 15 or 20 years I would be a candidate for valve replacement. I really did not give it much thought til this spring when I got to severe and needed surgery pronto.

Still don't think I would worry about a trivial mitral valve leak. The auto accident is more likely, it seems, and most of us don't let that fear overwhelm us.

Good luck and enjoy your life and times.

Bill

Jim, Nancy and Bill,
I want to Thank You for responding. It took me about a day and I came to my senses. You all are right, I can't worry about something that may or may not happen. I'm sure you have read in some other posts that I have suffered from an anxiety disorder since I was in my early 20's, so I have a tendency to worry much more than I have to. Thanks Again! You guys are great!

Take Care!
Creed

Hi Creed-

You sound better. Just take it one step at a time and live for today and now. Don't project too far out into the future. If you feel good today, for Heaven's sake, enjoy the day's beauty.

I used to run out after every light rain shower with my little kids to look for a rainbow. We saw them about 1 percent of the time. They would always make fun of me, but I used to ask them just how many rainbows they could expect to see in their lifetime. The answer is not many, you have to look hard to see them and when you do, you enjoy that beautiful moment.

They're grown now with little children of their own. And you know what? They take their kids out in the rain to find the rainbow.

Don't miss out on any rainbows in your life.

Rainbows

Rainbows

Hi Nancy:)
You want rainbows?come on out here to the Seattle,Bremerton area,we get them quite often,not because we're blessed but because it rains soooooo much,the odds are in our favor,so to speak:(

Jim

I've been told and have read that most people in the general population would be identified with a minor mitral leak. And too, yours may get better in time. I had a moderate mitral leak after surgery, but with the reduced stress from the shot aortic valve, it has gone back to a minimal leak. Keep an eye on it, but don't worry.

Latest posts

Back