Echo update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jade45

Hey guys & gals,
I feel real sissy, went back and read my post I sounded
awful,but hey, you know ,maybe cause I wasn' able to take the usually sedative They used ativan,can't handle alot of sedatives very well,just got a call from my cardio about my echo, they want to do a TE can't pronounce or spell it, said my echo show left atrium enlargement, wanted to make sure I didn't have an emboli
or infection something to that nature,callingl back later to set up appt Going once going twice anybody have an input on this one I know I heard this is the last test they do before they talk cutting, am I right please let me know,and should I ask for second opionion"s my hubby wants me too.
PS said my right side looked good.

-----------------------------
jade
soon to be cut!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jade,
I had a normal echo before surgery, and another a few weeks later when I began a-fib. One cardiologist wanted me then to have a TEE (trans esophagal echocardiogram is probably not 100% but close), and another cardiologist said that in my case it was an unnecessary test. I don't know. From this list I have learned that it means temporarily swallowing the device which sends sound waves toward your heart.

I haven't known how to pursue all the thoughts I've had since surgery, but one thought is that I wished I'd had more time to review all the options before surgery. I think if I had to do it again I would take every possible test before going under the knife. But in my case I was so run down that there was no choice. There probably wouldn't have been a choice even if I'd had more time.

I don't know about the TEE, when I had mine, I was out and don't remember a month of my life from then.
As far as your last post, you had a bad experience that most of us never had. That doesn't make you sound like a sissy. When they did mine, they gave me 2? of Versed, whether that is 2 mg or mcg or what, I don't know, but for the most part, I wasn't sedated. They gave only enough to calm my nerves and that was all.

I don't want to say this to stir up trouble in your thinking, but to me, it sounds as if the tests that they're having you do, are backwards. I mean, it seems they put the cart before the horse. Can someone else point this out or am I wrong again?

The order I have been following so far is:
1. Doppler Echo
2. Nuclear Stess Test
3. Gamma Camera Imaging
4. Heart Catheterization

And now it looks to be when and where surgery is going to be done. I should know Monday.

TEE was always the last test before surgery for Joe, unless they wanted to take a look at the vascular system.

Jade, the TEE is an echo that's done down the esophagus. It gives a fantastic view of the heart and they can do much more regarding necessary measurements of the heart function without lots of body stuff in the way.If you have an expert doctor, it's not too bad. Make sure that you get someone who's experienced and respected in that procedure.

Joe has had several. The first one was not a good thing. He had a doc who was new to the procedure I think, didn't have a "soft" hand and it was very uncomfortable.

The last time, he had an expert. He was slightly sedated and he found it to be quick, plus he didn't complain too much about the way it was done. There are docs who specialize in these types of procedures.

Joe never complains about any procedure ordinarily, including surgery, so I have to believe that the first doc needed some retraining (being kind in my assessment).

Thanks guy's

Thanks guy's

I still haven't heard anything about the appt. yet!
Went online looking for some research on the TEE came across
a site I haven't visited for a while,like to hook you guys up with it it has a lot of info on it www.findarticles.com ,like I said before I like to look up the clinical but I get my moral support from you guys, and Ross ,you sound a little down, remember we are here to help you get thru whatever happens,I know I hold my hand out to you guys alot and I haven't even been a member that long,I think everyone has a bit of each of us for what they have been thru or what they are about to look forward to,I wish you peace in mind and be sure and let us help ok,
this is the clinical implications :
TEE allows a reliable diagnisos of MV repair feasibility and guides surgical decision-making by providing accurate imaging of anatomy and fuction .
1. angio 3/15/2002 ( had a echo done) 3/2001
2. echo 3/20/2002
3.Tee (?)
But I have had the stress echo ,and the nuke juice imagine done a couple of yrs back,since 95 had always had to have yearly echo done.

-----------------
jade
Rheumatic Mitral Stenosis
CHF COPD

hi jade!
joey will be going for a tee on april 5th. yesterday was his 6 month anniversary and an echo last week showed his valve to be leaking (mod-severe). it is my understanding that the tee gives a much more detailed picture of what's going on in there. it can show if there are any clots pooling in the blood around the valves, it can show if the cause of a bad leak_ as in joey's case_ is due to a stitch having come loose or if it's the valve itself that is failing.
the link ross just posted is a good one for explaining what they do.
joey's dr doing this test is one of the cardio partners_ each of them has a specialty (one does all the cath's, another does all the echos, this one does cardioversion and tee's). i happen to love this cardio because he did joey's cardioversion 6 yrs ago and was fabulous. also a great bedside manner.
they do sedate you for the tee (if it's sedation like when joey was cardioverted, he won't remember a thing!)
i hope this helped. please let us know when you will be having this tee and we will keep you company while you wait.
be well,
sylvia

jade,

the order in which tests where done for me, where

echocardiogram
exercise toralance test (treadmill)
angiogram
another echocardiogram to try and pick up pulmonary information for a scrapped Ross Procedure

TEE prior to surgery in operating room
Surgery
TEE post surgery in operating room.

Ross, good luck on Monday, please let us know what you find out.

Chris

mainframe said:

Ross, good luck on Monday, please let us know what you find out.

Chris
You know I will. I'll probably be kicked into "High Gear Nervousness" by the end of the day. :)

Hi Jade

I have had two Tee done. My first one was in 99. I had
endocarditis. They knew something was wrong with my heart.
If they would of done this test first it would of saved alot of
time and I wouldn't of had to have so many other tests
performed.
It can show so much that other tests can't. I say if it
wasn't for this test I might not be here today.
Tests are no fun but are worth it in the long run.

:) Judy

Jade,
Good luck with the TEE. I agree with the others, I have always heard its a great diagnostic tool.
I have never had one. All these years of going to the cardio (since age 4) and never anything more invasive than a cardic cath at age 5, until my surgery.

I have had probably 30 echos and, what 50 EKG's and bunch of chest x-rays and never any really "fun" tests like the TEE. You guys all know I am a champion hypochondriac right? Just teasing.

The worst test for me was the stress echo, what a hassle.
Judy has a great point that tests aren't fun and a hassle but worth it in the long run. You'd hate to on the table and have the surgeon surprised by something.

Good Luck
-Mara

Latest posts

Back