Echo ever made you sore?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri73

Hey everyone!

I've been having this weird chest pain for a couple of weeks now - I was thinking it was maybe because they were a little rough on me during my last echo (almost 3 weeks ago)... but then it just kept hurting. I think it feels more like a sore muscle thing, but then like earlier, I was sitting here and I'd feel a sharp twinge of pain that correlated with a heartbeat... maybe once or twice a minute. It's just weird - and persistent. The most pain I feel is when I try to get up or move around in bed in the morning. The rest of the day it's there, but nothing major, unless I lift up my left arm to do something. (And the pain is directly over my heart - like where you'd put your hand to do the Pledge of Allegiance.)

Should soreness last more than two weeks? Anyone had the same thing? It really seemed to start up after my echo. Odd!

Anyway, just thought I'd check. :) If it keeps up, I'll go see my general doctor and see what he has to say about it - I can't imagine much can be done, though, if it is just muscular?

Thanks!
Kerri

Kerri, I think echos are completely painless. But not everyone feels the same way; some think that echos are very painful. I mentioned that to the technician at my last echo, and she said that some do have a much firmer technique. They want to make the picture they're seeing clearer, so they push harder. It may be that you had a rougher technician. I have no idea how long the pain should last, since there shouldn't really be any pain at all. It's always safer to have it checked out.

Not sure about your pain now, but echos should not hurt at all (unless you are newly post-op). If the tech is pressing too hard, they are not using enough gel. Many techs make that mistake. So if a tech is pressing on you, tell them to put more gel on and they'll get much better pictures.

Echo + Pain

Echo + Pain

Kerri, I have had pain from the tech pressing too hard, but it never lasted beyond the procedure. Definitely call your doc!Good luck! I'll be thinking of you. Brian

hmmm.

hmmm.

Hi Kerri. I have sometimes been sore after an echo, but mostly in the ribs. After hearing here that more gel is needed(Karlynn :) ), I've watched the techs. My techs have gotten so much better now that I have my new cardio, that I don't get sore anymore.

I do have bouts with a nasty pinching type feeling in the area which you describe. I assume it's angina. Bob, (Tobagotwo) has offered some wonderful insights to angina, maybe you could search this forum,or maybe he'll be along... I don't believe it was ever associated with an echo per se. I do find, that psychologically, after something so fascinating as an echo is performed, I do notice alot more symptoms for awhile. As if my mind were suddenly more awake after the echo and paying closer attention.

If it is angina, I would think you should report it to your cardio. They won't be impressed, of course, but at least it's a symptom that will be registered on your chart. OR, have you possibly just got indigestion? Been treating yourself to any fancy holiday foods, or frequenting a new lunch spot?

Let us know how it goes, though, please. It is always useful information to unravel mystery pains and twangs.

:) Marguerite

I've had bruises for a week after an echo, and tenderness for a while longer. I have listened to Nancy, and asked them to use more gel, but my chest is densely boned, and they have to dig in to get a good echo spot in between the ribs.

I suppose the tech could have caused a small rip in the intercostals, or internally impaled you on the end of one of your chest wires. I remember I had an intercostal muscle pull on the inside of my ribs once that had that effect a few times. It felt like a heart attack because of the location of the pain, and was sometimes a very sharp twinge.

Best wishes,

Thanks everyone for your input! I did notice while the tech was doing the echo that she was pushing very hard - next time I'll know to tell her to use more gel! I've had annual echos all my life, and sure sometimes there has been more pressure than others, but I've never ever gone away with this type of soreness (assuming it's related).

Would there have been any possibility of them pushing too hard on a pacer lead at all?

Anyway, thanks again! I did have my follow-up with my cardio this past week, and it was so short, that I just spaced telling him about it. (that's another story in itself) :)

Thanks again!
Kerri

It could be costochondritis...inflammation of the cartilage that connects your ribs and sternum. I have a wacky rib that likes to discolate and then the cartilage is sore for a long time. If I do anything that uses the chest muscles I get it. You can tell by pressing down along the edge of your sternum. If it feels sore, it could be your cartilage.

Kerri,

As a young woman, you HAVE to be assertive with your health care. Call your cardio (who rushed you through last week) and tell him about your new sensation. Ask him to look over your most recent echo again, just to reassure you that nothing has changed.

Doctors are human. They will and do miss important details, and you may need the reassurance!

Congratulations upon your marriage! What a happy time!

Blessings,

Latest posts

Back