Duke

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard on the news last night that 100,000 Americans die every year due to hospital/medical negligence. Wonder if there's a website somewhere that lists the hospitals.

Think about it -- that's 274 people a day.:(

I nearly became a statistic myself. There are a lot of things to blame but it's mostly just plain laziness.

Last edited:
It can happen anywhere, any time, at any hospital, clinic or other medical facility. It can happen with doctors, nurses, aides, techs, pharmacists, you name it. We are all imperfect and subject to the human condition. I think that medical professionals try their very hardest to not let things happen, but I've found that there are many, many people who have to read and understand the information in the charts. The handoff from one person to the next is the hardest thing. Remember when you were in school and had to read a long story or book, remember skipping over some of the stuff??? Well, when we grow up, we don't change. Adults still like to skip over some of the stuff. Some charts are very long and I bet half the stuff or less in there, ever gets thoroughly read. I catch 'em all the time.

The other thing that gets people into trouble is ASSUMING. I hate the old saying, but here it is: "To assume makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me". Ross is right. laziness plays a part sometimes.

Making sure you understand your conditions thoroughly, and your family understands your conditions thoroughly, or others close to you, will help keep you safer. It is also very important to have someone else be with you as much as possible while you're in the hospital. Pick the person who is the most comfortable with medical stuff, and has knowledge of your condition. Then make sure they are right there and watching, not being a pest or anything, but watching.

Back