Drug to replace Coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty..

Marty..

When I was 2.0 last Monday..the nurse told me to up my Sunday dose to 5 mg. from 2 1/2..Been on that dosage for 4 months doing great...sooooo today I decided to test before tomorrow (Sunday) when I am suppose to up my dosage..and guess what?:D :D a perfect 3.0 today with old dosage...Hope she's not too confused when I call her Monday and tell her..I left dosage the same.:;) ;) ;) Old dosage and what I will stay on...5 mg. m-sat..and 2 1/2 on Sundays. And will go longer before testing ..like 2-3 weeks. Thanks, Bonnie

Bonnie

Bonnie

You're on the right track now. Apparently you have found or are close to finding a weekly dose you can live with. Once you know your dose make no sudden changes which cause you to yo-yo.
A 10% weekly dose change distributed over seven days will get you back to where you want to be. What is your weekly dose now? What is your approved INR range....2.5 to 3.5? think about purchasing one of Dr. Ansell's slide rules.

My Dosage

My Dosage

My dosage for the past 4 months has been 32 1/2 mg. a week. I am in 2.5- 3.5 range. I figure if I go out of range it will be 3.25 mg. a week extra ..high or low..Correct?:) And test every 3 weeks..Bonnie

Marty,

Please tell us more about Dr. Ansell's Slide Rule...

What does it do?

How much does it cost?

How can we obtain one?

'AL'

Bonnie..Correct!!

Bonnie..Correct!!

Bonnie, you have it now. Thats the 10% solution. Remember the 3.25 mgm dose change is disributed over 7 days. Three week interval testing is what I do and it should work for you. After the test I load my little 7 day pill box for 21 days. After I take each dose I record it on my coumadin dosage calendar. The pill box should match the calendar or you may have forgotten a dose or taken a double dose . I have done both, before using this double check system, not lately.Another good thing to do is go to warfarinfo.com and download Al's INR monitoring page. With this you can make sort of a graph and easily see how you are doing. Pretty soon it all becomes second nature and you don't even need to think about your dose except after your three week INR check.

Al Capshaw

Al Capshaw

Al, Please check new thread Anticoagulation Advisor. Theni f you have further questions on availability and price check
www.anticoagulation-advisor .com or Email Dr. Ansell personally. He always promptly answers questions. jack.ansell@ bmc.org

Back