Dr's Point of view on Valve Selection

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristyW

Here are 2 articles that I ran across this morning. They are roundtable discussions among several cardio-thoracic surgeons.

This discussion is about the valve choice itself with respect to life expectancy.

Life Expectancy and Valve Selection Criteria

This discussion is about Valve Choice with regards to "Hemodynamics"

Hemodynamic Funcion in Valve Selection

I hope these articles are of some help to our members

Last edited:
Thanks, Kristy

Thanks, Kristy

Thanks Kristy for finding and publishing this round table discussion. I did not question my surgeon prior to my operation,
mitral valve replacement four years ago. He said the decision to go with a St. Jude mechanical, if he could not do a repair was made after a long and involved discussion with the ten heart surgeons at our hospital. This "roundtable" helps me understand how they arrived at their decision. I was 72 at the time of surgery and would not look forward to more surgery at a more advanced age. Senator Helms had mitral valve replacement at age 70 with a Carpentier-Edwards bovine pericardial and it needed to be replaced recently when he was 80. The Coumadin can be a problem but in my case once I found my dose ,18.5 mg/week its been on autopilot. I use my coaguchek every 3 or 4 weeks and stay right around INR 3.5

GREAT FIND KRISTY !

LOTS of good information for all valve patients in those transcripts from the St. Jude Medical sponsored Perspectives in Valve Surgery Symposium.

There is a third transcript that is of special interest to Mechlanical Valve recipients and / or anyone on Coumadin, specifically:

o Anticoagulation -- Use, Management, and Effect on Quality of Life

along with the two articles you cited

o Life Expectancy and Valve Selection Criteria

o The Importance of Hemodynamic Function in Valve Selection

Related Publications include:

o German Experience with Lower Intensity Anticoagulation (GELIA) Study Results

o ACC / AHA Guidelines

o Temporary Discontinuation of Anticoagulation Guidelines

These can all be found on the St. Jude Medical website at
www.OneValveForLife.com under either Patients or Related Articles

'AL'

Even more detailed information on Valve Selection Criteria can be found at www.OneValveForLife.com under PHYSICIANS. Topics include Valve Durability, Hemodynamics, Anti-Coagulation, Operative Risks, and Life Expectancy.

What a GREAT Web Site !!

'AL'

Latest posts

Back