Driving again and feeling well

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

Wednesday will mark my 5 weeks post-op date, and I can't really believe how well I feel. Given that my surgery was 14 hours long, with 10 hrs. on the heart/lung machine, it kind of seems like a miracle.

I got the "official" OK from my doc to resume driving last Friday, which has definitely cheered me up a lot! He also told me that my scar will likely end up being nearly invisible. I had a very careful cosmetic close with a smaller than normal incision, and all I have right now is a pink line that is extremely thin. Up until this week, it was hard to tell because my chest had a lot of large superficial scabs from surgical tape, retractors, etc. (I was opened and closed more than once due to the first valve failing). Now that those are gone, I'm amazed to see what looks like a pink hairline, which should fade. I'm using the vitamin E oil topically, and it seems to be slowly working. So, the senior team of the Chippendales might still be an option ;)

I was having PVC's in the hospital (premature ventricular contractions) which have continued, but are getting less frequent. I had the clinic check my electrolytes, and I should hear back tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm taking a magnesium supplement in addtion to a one-a-day vitamin. I can't really feel the PVC's, but during my monitored exercise class at the hospital, they can track them. Any one know if PVC's tend to subside after the left ventricle gets back to normal size?

I'm now taking just a short afternoon nap each day, and my energy level is improving steadily. I am thinking I'll resume working part time next week and see how that goes. I threw out my inspirational spirometer after reading Jennie's post.

My motorcycle still is sitting in the garage, and I don't think I'll feel comfortable riding it until my sternum is fully healed, so probably another 4 or 5 weeks to go. My neighbors will probably appreciate the peace and quiet!

As far as meds go, I'm only taking two pills a day--Toprol XL (a beta blocker) and Prinivil (helps keep the BP nice and low) plus a daily aspirin. All done with pain meds, with only occassional achiness now.

Life is looking pretty good, and even though I am watchful for depression which is so common post-op, so far I'm doing ok. I've decided it is permissible to feel a little blue now and then, and I try to stay focused on all the fun wonderful things life AFTER surgery has to offer.

So, for those of you who are just out of surgery, or about to have it, let me tell you that the "other side of the mountain" has lots of flowers planted on it, and before you know it, you'll start feeling a lot better too.

Cheers,
--John

There ya go!

There ya go!

OUTSTANDING!

John, I'm glad to see you doing so well. When you consider the scrape you went through, it is gratifying to see, that's for sure.

The driving was also a watershed moment for me and I think that's when I really perked up.

I know what you mean about the spirometer. I called mine "the evil blue thing." I hated using it, but was diligent (I didn't have a choice ;) .

Really good to see you doing so well!

Hi John-

Driving was always a big step for Joe also. It's the sense of freedom that means that you can join the human race again.

You're doing very, very well.

So let me see if I have this straight.
We now have a senior chippendale driving around? :D

Looking good John. Keep it up and you'll be places that you probably never thought about before. Of course, you've probably thought of most all of those places already.

I'm wondering if any of us liked the spirometer. I know I hated the darn thing, but like Johnny Stephens, I didn't have a choice.

Hi John, Great to hear you're doing so well and able to get back on the road. We all know what a rough time you had but you're doing wonderful now and are an inspiration to us all. Take care!

Nicole,
Speaking of being an inspiration, here you are at 19, with recent surgery to 3 valves, exhibiting all sorts of compassion and empathy to others. You are a real sweetie, and I hope that your own recovery is going well, and that your life is returning to normal!

Best,
--John

Thanks so much John, I know I'm one of the younger members (maybe youngest :) ) and try to help with words of encouragement, I don't have a lot of experience of life, but I've had to climb that mountain. I'm 11 weeks post-op and my pericarditis is cleared up and I just started physical therapy today and will be going 3x a week. I have not returned to work yet, and still have to speak to my boss about the procedure to remove the sternal wires in the end of August, I am not sure if he will continue to hold my job for me. We'll see, but I've been doing good and glad to hear you are too.

Speaking of being an inspiration, here you are at 19, with recent surgery to 3 valves, exhibiting all sorts of compassion and empathy to others. You are a real sweetie, and I hope that your own recovery is going well, and that your life is returning to normal!
I've been thinking the same thing for awhile now.

Nicole, I wish you'd post more often, but what you have posted is inspiring to all. You have a certain finesse with the keyboard somewhat like Nancy.

Ah shucks, some day, I'll learn how to sound like a human through a keyboard. *Now I'm talking like a machine* :p

Nicole mentioned having a procedure in August to remove the sternal wires. This is something I've never heard of before...have I been missing something? I was under the impression they are permanent, inert metal with no need for removal. I've not seen my own X-rays, so I don't know if they used wire, staples or duct tape, but there is no external indication of anything. Why would these wires need removal?

Sometimes the wires aren't postioned correctly or on a very slim person like Nicole, they may be bothersome and it's an elective to have them removed.

I have 2 that bug me right now, but obviously there about to be cut and replaced, so I won't be having them removed, just replaced.

Most people never encounter a problem with them.
It's a wait and see thing. If they bother you and aren't needed any longer, why not have them taken out?

Did that help you any John?

Ross- Thanks you very much, I've learned I can better express my words and thoughts through writing and I don't know life without a computer :) I hope all is well with you, Hang in there...you will be over the mountain soon. As always my thoughts and prayers are with you. Take Care!

John- I'm having my sternal wires removed because they've been very discomforting to me. I'm very thin and noticed that one of the wires was protruding and is very irritating. I saw my surgeon and he explained that this doesn't happen that often because most of his patients "have some meat on their bones". He says I have no use for them now, My sternum is completely healed. He says the procedure is about 15-20 mins. long and he'll make a small incision and take out the ones he can get to, I won't be having all of them removed, just where the discomfort is. He informed me I would have to stay in the hospital for a total of 4 days to get the coumadin/heparin levels balanced out. Some others here have gone through the procedure because they felt discomfort. I saw my x-ray and there was a lot of wires and I saw one of the valves, Very interesting...You should ask to see yours. I'll let you know how it goes. Take Care!

Hi John

Hi John

So.... if I go toward Minneapolis and see a guy driving around wearing nothing but a chest protector, that will be you then?:D

But seriously, I'm glad to hear you're doing so well! I finally drove last week myself, when I was at 5 wks post-op, and it went just fine, drove for about an hour, and had no problems.

BTW, how did your son's scar turn out, since him and I had the same "taylor" sew us up? The nurses at the hospital and my PCP tell me that mine should be no more than a thin white line someday, but I guess I'll believe that when I see it. Sometimes I think it looks worse now than it did in the hospital.

The nurses at the hospital and my PCP tell me that mine should be no more than a thin white line someday, but I guess I'll believe that when I see it.
Stop it-Your making me jealous! I look like someone took a machete to mine.:(

My son's scar (Dr. Northrup) has faded a lot, and is very thin. However, the scar for his pacemaker/defibrillator (done twice, different docs) is pretty bad, with a thick angry looking reddish scar. Fortunately, Clay otherwise looks like a Viking (6'4", 260 lbs. and blonde hair) so he can always claim it's a battle wound.

Thanks for the explanation on the wires. Eventually I'll look at my X-rays and see what they did. I should mention that before my surgery I made a BIG deal out of getting the best cosmetics possible, and they seem to have accomodated me well. I don't have a lot of extra meat on my bones, but I have spent 15 years lifting weights, so maybe the wires hide pretty well.

Nicole, I hope that surgery goes well, and that your boss is understanding about this whole thing. He/she would be nuts to lose such a kind and caring employee!

--John

Ross,

You are such a trip, do you realize this??!!

-Jennie
ps. Speaking of machetes, I have one next to my bed. Just thought I'd mention this.... ;)

John,

I've been following your progress and am very impressed and heartened that despite all your difficulties with surgery you are doing so well. Although I gulped a little when reading about your adventure, wondering what might be ahead for me, it's great to hear how positive things are going in your recovery.

About those scars folks... next week after I go under the knife(saw) I'll be sporting the "sign of the cross" on my chest, having already had bilateral mastectomies. My friends and I joke (please, don't take offense anyone) that I'll try to make money during my 3 months of no income by having the faithful make pilgramages to my chest and give offerings! I know that's a real groaner but hey if I didn't keep laughing I might get a little bummed out here!

Thanks, John, for sharing your whole story. Maybe we'll even meet up some day since we are neighbors.

JJ

ps. Speaking of machetes, I have one next to my bed. Just thought I'd mention this....
Hmm, a woman of action. I like it! :D
Please don't beat me for being a trip. It's all I have to keep me sane. ;)

Welcome JJ

Welcome JJ

And good luck on your surgery next week! You will definitely have an interesting scar, sounds like you've been through an awful lot!
Actually, I have a first cousin who is an RN at the Mayo Clinic. I have no idea what dept. she works in though. Her name is Mona Lansing if you should happen to run into her.

John, thanks for the scar info, my biggest complaint about mine is that it's not straight! My daughter said they should have "snapped a chalk line" before they cut! :D It sort of curves to one side and then back to the center. Oh well, nobody's perfect, right?

I live in Princeton, which is an hour or so from the cities, so maybe some day the three of us can have our own little reunion, huh?

Latest posts

Back