Drinking after recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracycraig

Hi, I am about 9 weeks post op and am doing great! Completely off beta blockers and all pain meds for a long time now. I was wondering what experience anyone has had with having the occasional glass of wine here and there? I am still attending cardio rehab and it is going really well. Here is my blog link of the pre and post recovery info I have been keeping.

http://iloveyouwithallmychicken.com/cardiac-rehab-week-4-celine/

I was encouraged to have a glass of wine by one of my doctors while I was still in hospital ! I didn't because I didn't feel like it. I didn't feel like having a glass of wine for several weeks post op but when I did fancy a glass I knew I was on the mend ! Go with your gut feelings unless you've been specifically been told not to have alcohol. Might not mix with some meds.

tracycraig;n854631 said:
Hi, I am about 9 weeks post op and am doing great! Completely off beta blockers and all pain meds for a long time now. I was wondering what experience anyone has had with having the occasional glass of wine here and there? I am still attending cardio rehab and it is going really well. Here is my blog link of the pre and post recovery info I have been keeping.

http://iloveyouwithallmychicken.com/cardiac-rehab-week-4-celine/
Haven't had any wine but had my 1st craft beer about 3.5 weeks post op and had 3 this past Sunday while watching a little march madness. In a related note I think I've driven my wife to have a few these last few months.

I have been having a glass or two of wine almost daily starting 2 weeks post op. Just follow your body. No one I have talked to said a little alcohol could hurt anything. And I have asked everyone I come across

My doc said that aside from the general negative effects long term heavy alcohol use can have on the heart, Moderate use has no effect on our specific valve replacement conditions. He said he would like me to not get shitfaced because I'm on bloodthinners I could fall and cause dangerous bleeding. I thought that was funny but true.

Drink away. St. Patty's day was only a few weeks after my operation and my wife threw a party. : )

Thief is right, the only risk is if you are on an anticoagulant and fall. I was told that by my doctor and the hospital pharmacist. I am on warfarin so I don't get more than tipsy.

I stayed off the sauce for a month or so after surgery. I have a belt or two most nights. Enjoy and don't overdo.

My deal is that "one" isn't in my drinking vocabulary. As a recovered alcoholic, I must abstain. Anyway I drank my share (along with Chris' and Cam's) in the 1980's....

Latest posts

Back