Dramatic rise in migraine frequency post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Migraines?

Migraines?

As a teenager I had migraines quite often but had had none until I began taking Metoprolol (sp?). It's listed as a possible (not common) side effect. I was getting them daily until I switched meds. You should probably discuss it with your physician.

I have always had auras but rarely a full fledged migraine...I guess the doctors always told me I was lucky. I would usually get them maybe once a month for most of my life prior to surgery. The episodes would usually last about an hour. Now I get them almost every other day except they do not last as long. Maybe several minutes to 15 minutes. Not sure why there is the difference but I am used to them now and don't worry about them. I guess I kind of assumed it was related to the Warfarin which is the only medication change I have made since the surgery. It is nice to know that other people are having this same symptom and it is very common.

I have had migraines and headaches since I could remember. I rarely have a aura. I know many people with MVP have migraines. A TEE I took 4 years ago showed I have a PFO. So if everything goes well I should have MV surgery in 2 or 3 weeks. I was told that closing the PFO might take away the migraines sometimes not always. I know I will be very upset if my migraines and headaches increase. I think that is why my doctors never pushed me to have surgery. Well I hope for the best

I too had had a dramatic increase in migraines the first several months post-op MVR. Eventually it settled down to where the frequency more closely resembled that of what it had been pre-op. Three weeks ago I had ankle surgery (sub-talar fusion and some tendon work) and now find myself on the same headache merry-go-round again. I'm hoping it will soon subside and hopefully quicker than it did following heart surgery. I've had knee surgery, cervical fusion, oral surgery, and lip surgery since MVR and don't remember the return of headaches following any of those. I can't pinpoint what would have triggered this again....oh, well. It will probably soon gone away.

I began having migraines (with aura) out of the blue when I was in my early 30's. In retrospect, it probably corresponded to when my mitral valve regurgitation reached a certain leval of critical mass. I have found at least 10 articles from medical journals that have found an association between mitral valve regurgitation and migraine with aura, which suggests there may be a hemotological connection.

I had one very intense migraine with aura 48 hours post-op in the hospital after my mitral valve repair in January 2009. Since that time, I have not had ONE migraine of any type, and can apparently consume freely things that were once verboten migraine triggers for me. Pre-op, I had at least one migraine per week. The absence of migraines is absolutely liberating.

It's possible that post-op migraines will abate once inflamation has abated and complete healing has taken place.

ChanLee

Mitral Valve Repair/Reconstruction (posterior leaflet resection; annular plasty; chordal transfer; and prosthetic annular ring remodelling using ATS Medical #33 band); January 2009Cedars-Sinai Medical Center; performed through right mini-thoracotomy and da Vinci surgical robotic device; Alfredo Trento, M.D.--the best!

I began having migraines (with aura) out of the blue when I was in my early 30's. In retrospect, it probably corresponded to when my mitral valve regurgitation reached a certain leval of critical mass. I have found at least 10 articles from medical journals that have found an association between mitral valve regurgitation and migraine with aura, which suggests there may be a hemotological connection.

I had one very intense migraine with aura 48 hours post-op in the hospital after my mitral valve repair in January 2009. Since that time, I have not had ONE migraine of any type, and can apparently consume freely things that were once verboten migraine triggers for me. Pre-op, I had at least one migraine per week. The absence of migraines is absolutely liberating.

It's possible that post-op migraines will abate once inflamation has abated and complete healing has taken place.

ChanLee

Mitral Valve Repair/Reconstruction (posterior leaflet resection; annular plasty; chordal transfer; and prosthetic annular ring remodelling using ATS Medical #33 band); January 2009Cedars-Sinai Medical Center; performed through right mini-thoracotomy and da Vinci surgical robotic device; Alfredo Trento, M.D.--the best!

Chan - in my case, there were no mitral valve issues, just aortic. Unfortunately, I'm at 6 months and, although they subsided for a short spell, I'm once again getting lots of migraines. No liberation yet.

I used to get an Aura / Migraine's after intense training for many years and I put it down to low blood sugar but since I have had my Aorta valve replaced I definately get far more Aura's than before.
I also get Aura's if my B/P is low ,so I know to have some protien smartly but the Aura's only last about 20 mins and I don't generally get a headache but if I do get a headache it lasts for at least 2 days but not generally strong......Kevin

Latest posts

Back