Don's AVR Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Don

Hi ValveReplacement.com Members,

I'm a 69 year old male New Mexico resident who has been sweating Aortic Valve Replacement surgery since 1988. Been scared to death about it most of that time. And felt that surgery was eminent most of those 14 years. Was asymptomatic during the entire period. Finally had minimally invasive AVR at Cleveland Clinic on Friday, April 12. Surgery
by Cosgrove. CE Pericardial Valve. Released from the hospital April 16. Flew back from Cleveland to El Paso April 20. Looking back at it today (4 weeks), it wasn't all that bad. I continue to feel that Cleveland Clinic is a factory-like assembly-line operation -- but maybe that is a good thing. I always had the feeling that everyone there had done the same thing at least 100 times before. No surprizes. And everytime I pushed the call button I had a prompt and helpfull response. I never did see or talk to my surgeon (they tell me that I met him in the operating room but I don't remember). He talked to my wife via telephone. Looking back I'm not sure that the hours of conversation I had felt I needed would have bought me much in comparison to what it would have cost Dr. Cosgrove in terms of his time. At 4 weeks post op I am a very satisified customer. At least I am today. I'm able to walk for 30 minutes at a time at 4,200 ft altitude and am planning to increase my distance until I can do 6 miles at 10,000 ft. That's my goal. Looking at my MI incision I sometimes worry if they had enough room to do things correctly; I have to assume that they did. The bump on top of by incision causes some discomfort, and the incision still hurts, particularly in the evening. Someone said that the MI incision is not less painfull than the full cut. I'm glad that I was able to have the MI.

I made the decision as to tissue over mechanical valve with the thought of having surgery again in eleven years when I'm 80. Based on the experience I just went through I think that I may be able to handle a second surgery in 2013.

The VR web site has been a tremendous help to me in coping with the thought of signing up for surgery. A person I met at this site who had the same surgery before me (same surgeon; same valve) was critical to my being able to handle the AVR decision; he spent a lot of email time with me.

I hope that this input is of value to those who are making the same decision.

Best wishes,
Don

Don Thanks for the great posting. It is so similar with what happened to me, same surgeon. Mine was AVR - Homograph and mitral repair and I haven't gotton to the walking part yet. Glad to see you are doing so well.

Don

Don

Well, at your age, the choice was easier for you to make on the valve type. A younger person, like myself, I was not ready to make the decision to have surgery soon soon, in ten or five years. So I went with the mechanical, st judes. I do noe regeret the decision. I am glad to made the choice and you are with your. I am glad that your hospital stay was such a good experience. Hope the next time goes as well also. And they will have improved things by the surgery you will have later on. You take care and be sure to walk or exercise everyday. You take care.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St judes valve

Hi McCln,
Yesterday I went to see my local cardiologist for the first time in two years with my new (4-12-02) tissue valve from Cleveland Clinic. He immediately went into why he thought a mechanical valve would have been better for me at age 69 -- which was his position the last time I saw him. He is entitled to his opinion, but I thought it was terribly unfeeling to say that to a person who had just undergone AVR. (Cleveland Clinic and Stanford University had both recommended a tissue valve for "people my age". In fairness to the local guy, he knows me a lot better than the other two institutions. I'm supposed to be young for my age, but I don't feel that way today -- got a cold.) I remain confident about my choice of valve.
The local card's Nurse saw me prior to the the doc. She started with "did I read your report right?; you are moving awfully well for a person who just had OHS." When she saw my scar she couldn't stop gapeing. She had never seen a Minimally Invasive incision previously. She also had to run her fingers over it several times. (Felt good.) If I ever get to a VR Reunion I won't be able to compete in the ugly scar contest. It is looking remarkably good.
Question for the forum: The local guy wants to give me a stress test at 6 1/2 weeks post op. Is that about right? I worry that perhaps he's still trying to prove the superiority of the mechanical valve.
Don
AVR by Dr. Cosgrove @ CCF on 4-12-02; bovine valve; satisfied customer

Gee Don-

What does the doc think, that you're going to go have the valve replaced becase he doesn't like what you've chosen???

I guess, he'll just have to LWI (live with it), and treat you anyway.;)

Sort of a strange position, I think.

Latest posts

Back