Donor found--Surgery June 5

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

My surgeon's office called this afternoon to tell me a 28 year old donor valve has been obtained, which is a Cryolife SynerGraft aortic homograft. What surprised me was that they can get me in next Wednesday, June 5. I don't know whether to celebrate or panic!

My surgeon is Dr. Michael King, a Mayo-trained surgeon here in Minneapolis who has performed over 1,000 valve replacements. Dr. King will be performing a mini-sternotomy (incision less that 3") and will be using BioGlue at the aortic suture sites, which means I'll have only one drainage tube post-op. The nurses I talked to when I had my angiogram thought I'd be out in three days--which would truly amaze me.

I will be having my surgery at North Memorial Hospital in Minneapolis. This hospital has an unusual model for valve patients: I will be in the same ICU room for my whole stay, with the same nursing staff (about a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 nurse/patient ratio). These rooms are larger than traditional ICU rooms, and patients rave about the quality of care and benefits of not having to get moved.

My son Clay, who had aortic valve repair last January, is having his AV node ablated on June 3, just two days before. He has had on-going rhythm problems, and this is a necessary step to get him off his heavy-duty meds and eliminate his remaining symptoms. My family is, naturally, pretty stressed out with all the heart surgeries within a short period of time.

Anyhow, I'll try to have my wife or my daughter post here after my surgery for an update. Now I'm off to have a quiet little panic attack!

--John

Yay John!

Yay John!

John, I'm glad to hear that they finally found a suitable homograft. I know it has been a long haul of a wait for you, but soon you'll be recovering and improving.

You will be having a somewhat unique experience with the unique ICU model, bioglue, etc. Sounds like a really good way to go through this :)

I can only imagine how your family is feeling with all of this heart work going on at once. I'm sure you'll both do fine, and soon you'll be looking back at this as a turning point.

My very best to you, and your son. I'll be pulling for you.

Good news!

Good news!

Onward and upward!

Sounds like your ducks are getting lined up, John.

Best of luck to you and we'll look forward to hearing about your experience.

What ever happened with that surgical videotaping proposal? Did you get your dollar and sign a talent release?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Good news John

Good news John

That is just great John, not too much time to sit and dwell but enought to get everything in order. A 28 yr old valve, huh, not bad. 3 days sounds awfully quick, I was only in 5 and can't really imagine any easier recovery. I'm sorry to hear about Clay's problems, I didn't realize he had any outstanding issues.

Best of luck to both of you,

Brooks McIntyre and Family
Synergraft AVR 5/23/02
Dr. Zehr, Mayo Clinic

I've been doing the things on my end to see that you get your valve. It's Great News, though I'm sure your stunned, like most of us are. Now the only thing you have to do is stay healthy. Don't go and catch a bug like I have. I'm going to the Doc today, if I can get in, and see if there is anything that can be done to knock this down, so I don't have to reschedule surgery.

O.K. folks, Who's going to go visit John? :D
I think you need to move a little closer to where I'm at. ;)

I'll be in Pretesting when your in surgery, so I'll most definately keep you very close in thought and prayer.

Best wishes for a full, speedy, and uneventful recovery!

Wonderful news - you have waited such a long time and here it is next Wed. You are in my prayers. We will wait to hear from your family. Just try to take it easy til then - you ought to be pretty good at it by now. God bless

A week from today you will likely be awaiting

A week from today you will likely be awaiting

discharge and then 1) getting lectured on how to use your Inspir-o-meter, faithfully, 2) keeping a pillow handy at all times, 3) retracting invitations you extended to the OR and ICU nurses while coming down from the drugs and happy pills, 4) feeling a bit 'cheated', wondering how something so important in your life lasted no longer than an average feature film, or a sumptuous dinner, 5) within days consuming mainly cakes, chocolate and ice cream. (I had a two week fetish for Rum cakes, in every conceivable shape and form) The sugar was a great appeaser in the adjustments after the surgery.

"..the wind, the road, the sun and moon to light your way".

Mazeltov, buona fortuna, Proschai!

Hi John,

All right! Glad to hear the wait is almost over for you. I wish you the best, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a very successful surgery, and full recovery.

Looking forward to you posting your journey,

Rob

it's about time!!

it's about time!!

Hey John!

So you're finally getting off the bench and taking your turn at bat!! Enough of this spectator stuff! Glad to hear you've got everything lined up, now it's just plug and chug. I wish you all the best, and I'll be waiting to read your post on June 8 when you get home! All my best wishes, I'll be thinking of you. I hope your son's ablation goes well too, you'll both be in my prayers.

-Jennie

Last edited:
hi john!
i am so thrilled that you finally got your date. you must be too, despite the initial shock.
it will be here before you know it and then it will be behind you in no time.
we will all be thinking of you and praying for you on june 5th, but in the meantime, we will all keep you company while you await your day. just stay well, as ross said, and get all the rest you need; you want to go into this feeling strong.
i also want to wish clay all the best. i'm sorry he (and your family) has had to go through all this.
God bless, sylvia

John - Good to hear they found a donor valve for you. I will be keeping you in my prayers on June 5, although I'm thinking you will be OK regardless. Good luck on your surgery and hope to hear about your progress from your wife or daughter.

Donor found--Surgery June 5

Hey John,

Congratulations...I'm sure everything will will be just great.
As I usually do may I remind you that "the Good Lord will hold you in the palm of His hands"

I know all will be well....best wishes!!

Jack ( Welland )

Hi John, Just a quick line to say I will be thinking about you on June 5th and Ross on June 10th....I know you both will be fine...Bonnie

John-

That's really great news. I'm so glad your date is finally almost here.

You'll be just fine.

Congratulations!

Great news, John. You'll be on top of that mountain soon! And, then, it'll get better every day.

I heard back from Dr. Zehr within 10 minutes of sending my email! Pretty impressive. He gave me brief but good insight and requested my records, which I have sent to him. It seems that he feels that the implantation of a mechanical would not be that much less difficult or risky than implanting another SynerGraft homograft, since he would be in favor of replacing everything that was replaced before in either case. Seems to make good sense.

Meanwhile, I landed in the hospital again for fainting and significant edema. They were going to do the surgery this Monday, but they just discharged me about 20 minutes ago. They are restricting me to part-time work at the most in the hope that we can buy a little more time.

I will meet with the surgeon here Monday and probably schedule for June 20 with him, giving me enough time to communicate with Dr. Zehr when he gets back from overseas. So, I still have the option to go to Mayo, which I am very seriously considering if I can hold on long enough to get scheduled with Dr. Zehr. In any case, my surgeon here will be in contact with hiim and has assured me that he will gladly either do it himself or fully support my transfer to Dr. Zehr's care.

About the valve choice, I have shifted my thinking a bit after my last talk with my cardiologist on Friday while in the hospital.
I still have to discuss this with Drs. Martin and Zehr (and one other surgeon whose opinion I have also sought). My new idea is that I will give the surgeon the option of either going with a mechanical or another SynerGraft (aortic this time), based on the following criteria. If when they have me open they discover: 1) that the SynerGraft has populated sufficiently with my own cells that they can deduce that the process has worked as hoped, and that the failure of my valve appears clearly to be due to its weakness as a pulmonary rather than aortic valve; and 2) that the implantation of another homograft will not be too much more risky than implanting a mechanical, then they should go with the aortic SynerGraft homograft. Otherwise, they should go ahead and implant a mechanical.

We'll see what all the surgeons think about that!

Thanks again for all your help and support and my prayers are with you John and all our other heart buddies, especially the SynerGraft Alumni Club members!

Steve

Good news the wait is over.

It sounds like your in good hands and will be back on your feet before you know it.

I'll be waiting to hear how it went.

Congratulations John on your upcoming surgery date; although the shortness of time is a shock, it's great that you are going to get it over with fast.

The ICU nursing situation for the whole time sounds wonderful; wish I could have stayed in the ICU the whole time as it was definitely superior care to the regular nursing floor. I actually had an ICU nurse named "Angel" and that she was! I cried when I had to leave her.

My incision was also closed with the surgi-glue. It worked great; none of those nasty railroad tracks down the chest.

Johnny,

My thoughts and prayers for a very successful, smooth operation on 6/5 and a rapid, uneventful recovery.

After the added stress that you've had waiting for the right match, you certainly deserve a few brakes on the recovery end of this process.

I'll be looking forward to reading the posts about your progress.

Ron K

Latest posts

Back