Donating Blood

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

Okay so now that Im on Coumadin for the rest of my days, Ive learned those of us on AC cannot donate blood. Ive heard several reasons why but never seemed like any of them were all that critical. Nevertheless, every reason I had heard was based on how it would affect the recipient. Are there reasons for a donor on AC to not donate blood because of how it might throw INR way out of whack and reduce your numbers?

They don't really like me at the blood center anymore and I'm only on 325 aspirin. Last 2 times I went it was a 45 min consultation process of anxiety for them. I also got petechiae all over my arm. I used to give a lot of blood but I think I'm done. Glad I did it when young, unmedicated and in good health. Curious what answers you'll get to your question.

Argh.......I used to donate regularly, right up until a few months before AVR. Now here I am supposedly with a better heart but the Blood Transfusion service here in the UK won't let me donate blood any more. I'm not on any AC therapy either. The reason they give is that I might get an adverse event, eg endocarditis ! My cardiologist and GP were astonished and thought the transfusion service idiotic. Made no difference. I spoke to one of the transfusion's haematologists and he took my case to a review panel of nine doctors. No they would not let me donate any more. I was pretty upset, especially as I am O Rhesus negative so a blood they are crying out for.

Their fear of giving you bacterial endocarditis may almost make sense. This is especially true if they aren't confident in their ability to take your blood in a sterile, totally safe way. Although you can probably save quite a few lives from your donations, I guess they don't want you to put yours at any risk while doing so. (Of course, you should always wear a mask over your mouth and nose, wash your hands every few minutes, and live in a bubble in order to reduce risk of any type of infection or adverse event.

Latest posts

Back