Does this make any sense to you?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeccolella

Great forum. I am new so maybe I am just CRAZY! But please could somene EXPLAIN This?
I had two teeth removed and a lot of bleeding which has been on and off for several days. I Took 2gms amoxicillin before the procedure, but what I do not understand is that a single dose of amoxicillin wears off in 24 hours. So why would the protocol not call for continuing antibiotics for anyone who has bleeding gums if that is a cause of endocarditis and why we all need prophalaxis?
when I googled the reason for dental prophalaxis the answer was always about bleeding during procedures so it its about bleeding gums should we be taking antibiotics for that whenever it happens?????

Hi

mikeccolella;n876536 said:
I had two teeth removed and a lot of bleeding which has been on and off for several days.

an extraction is an injury, the the place where the tooth beds in is damaged and the tooth (which is alive and has a nerve in it) is ripped out causing bleeding.

So, just like if I cut you it bleeds ...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/upload.wikimedia.org\/wikipedia\/commons\/4\/43\/Human_tooth_diagram-en.svg"}[/IMG2]

is I Took 2gms amoxicillin before the procedure, but what I do not understand is that a single dose of amoxicillin wears off in 24 hours. So why would the protocol not call for continuing antibiotics for anyone who has bleeding gums if that is a cause of endocarditis and why we all need prophalaxis?

antibiotics are not a prophylaxis for bleeding gums, you've got that mixed up. Antibiotics is a prophylaxis for stuff like dental cleans where a metal hook is scraped under your gums to scrape off all that plaque which is just a big festy home for bacteria. A veritable "coral reef" of stuff living there.

When that clean occurs your gums are often quite disturbed by the process (like rub your hand along the cement for a while and notice the bleeding ... like that but at a smaller scale). This then gives an excellent opportunity for bacteria to cross that boundary "en masse" and have a go at entering the blood stream.

when I googled the reason for dental prophalaxis the answer was always about bleeding during procedures so it its about bleeding gums should we be taking antibiotics for that whenever it happens?????

I think you've misunderstood what you're read. And if your gums are bleeding on a regular basis ... see your dentist (and take better care of your teeth)

[ link ]

Pellicle thanks so much! That kind of makes sense, but I must admit I am still a bit confused about this because if there is an injury (tooth extraction etc.) that injury continues until healing takes place which could be weeks. Or as I said someone brushes or flosses and there is a lot of blood. BTW, I used it as an example, my gums dont bleed even though I have peridontal issues. In either case there is exposure to oral bacteria and yet no reccomendation for antibiotic treatment that I am aware of.

Hi
mikeccolella;n876538 said:
... this because if there is an injury (tooth extraction etc.) that injury continues until healing takes place which could be weeks.

coagulation will seal the wound pretty well in the first few hours, after that the cells of the gingiva grow over it pretty fast.

The antibiotics are just to help the body keep an advantage on killing the flood of bacteria. After all, you have an immune system :)

Or as I said someone brushes or flosses and there is a lot of blood.

if brushing causes bleeding see your dentist ... same goes for flossing (at the very least your technique could be "cage fighting" rough.

so, as you said, you don't have bleeding issues, then all is good.

There is always exposure to oral bacteria ... just as there is always exposure to skin bacteria ... if you get a paper cut you don't expect to come down with a massive infection, if you fall off your motorcycle and slide down the road wearing just undies on a holiday in Indonesia and slide through **** on the ground, you can expect an infection ...

so its all about scale

:)

My gums used to bleed pretty easily during dental cleanings or exams - the dentist recommended using a water pik every day and I do and they no longer bleed. When I first started with the water pik they bled like crazy from that even on the low setting but now they've toughened up and don't bleed even on the high setting - took a couple of weeks before the bleeding stopped. Now no bleeding even during deep cleaning.

Latest posts

Back