Does AVR and Ascending aorta repair also involve replacement of Aortic root?h

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tejumurthy

Hi All,
I'm 36 year old and my surgery to replace aortic valve and ascending aorta is scheduled on Sept 18th Sept. I'm trying to understand the possible procedure my surgeon may perform. Since my surgery in at CC, i'm not allowed to meet my surgeon until a day before my surgery.

My main concern, is my aortic root also replaced while fixing my aortic valve and ascending aorta? With my ECHO my aortic root is normal.

Appreciate your help if anyone being in same condition or already been to this and know the possible best approach.

-Teju

Teju:
Here is the image of the ON-X valve with graft and additional graft material for the arch repair.

Attachments

• chris heart pic.jpg
    chris heart pic.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 103
I was surprised that the second surgeon I spoke to suggested leaving the root alone. He told me he would replace the valve and the bulge. I was a bit confused afterwards.

Hi All,
Thank you for response.

I was in a assumption that my normal root will be spared of my surgery :(.
Does the root replacement add any additional challenges/side effects post surgery?

Thanks,
Teju

Hi

Tejumurthy;n845844 said:
Does the root replacement add any additional challenges/side effects post surgery?

sure does ... the graft will replace a defective component of your body with a new piece which will last a life time. Unlike valves (which are moving parts) the grafts are quickly epitheliased (spelling? but none less means covered in your own tissue) and then perform the task of being a pipe with great effectiveness. I've not heard of them causing problems in any way, so its win win :)

My surgeon commented at the time that sparing the root (I had to replace AV and ascending aorta) would be advantageous because he did not have to implant back the coronary arteries. That saved some time on the artificial heart lung machine, always a plus. My root was spared and after the surgery the surgeon was very happy about it (and so was I).

Latest posts

Back