does anyone no what valave gradients are

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rib305

just had my echo all good both mech valve seated well no regurg but i noticed my mitral valve gradient is 8mmhg they dont seem bothered my surgery was complicated as it was my 4th with a root enlargement on the aortic, it was my 2nd hit of endocarditis - anyway just was curious what the average norm was ..i have ats aortic 23 -was a 25 but had to reduce due to infection and st judes standard mitral 29mm surgeon said it was a tight fit the 3rd op when he originally did the root enlargment and fitted the 25mm aotic- but then he had to replace the mitral on the forth opp as well....

I have not searched gradients on the internet but can share with you the explanation I once received: valve gradients measure the pressure/speed at which blood flows through a valve space. The higher the gradient typically the worse once outside the normal range. For instance, someone with a greatly reduced aortic valve outflow space due to severe aortic stenosis is likely to have a very high gradient across that valve. Hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you -- people like you posting inspire those of us who could have an operation down the road. I am glad things seemed to have gone well on your 4th operation.

just had my echo all good both mech valve seated well no regurg but i noticed my mitral valve gradient is 8mmhg they dont seem bothered my surgery was complicated as it was my 4th with a root enlargement on the aortic, it was my 2nd hit of endocarditis - anyway just was curious what the average norm was ..i have ats aortic 23 -was a 25 but had to reduce due to infection and st judes standard mitral 29mm surgeon said it was a tight fit the 3rd op when he originally did the root enlargment and fitted the 25mm aotic- but then he had to replace the mitral on the forth opp as well....

I believe your valve gradient of 8mmhg is considered to be within the mild to moderate range. I believe that a mean gradient of 10> is considered severe. I have a mean mitral valve gradient of 18mmhg & I'm considered to be in the severe group. So I think you're doing just fine.

I hope you are done with OHS.....I think you've had more than your share! Take care! :)

Back