Does anyone have info on Patent forman ovale

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David'sBride

I just got some echo results and they think I may have a Patent forman ovale (PFO). I had mitral valve replacement in July of 07 and had lots of echos done before. No one ever saw this. I did have this one done at a heart hospital, so maybe it's just better training personnel that made the difference. Any info on FPOs, bubble test echos (I have on coming up) or TEEs would be appreciated. These are the next step for me.

The bubble study is no big deal...it is basically just another echo except they will put a line in your arm and inject saline with tiny little bubbles. You will feel nothing but it is kind of cool to watch it, especially if it crosses your pfo. I HAD (first time I've said that) an asd so I've had several bubble studies.

Kim

I had a PFO and had no idea. No one told me to this day if they found it on any of my many echos, on TEE, angio or during surgery. First I heard of it was after surgery when I was told it had been 'fixed'. :eek: First thing I thought of when they told me (only hours after surgery) was "I had a Teddy Bruschi"? (Patriot Football player who had a stroke several years ago and it was traced to PFO ....He was treated at Mass General, as was I.

This was my second OHS but it wasn't seen or dealt with at my first OHS.

I keep forgetting to ask my cardio about it...... Hopefully at my next appointment. Did he know all along and never mention it?

I figure no need to worry now about something I didn't know about and it now not an issue.

Back