Does anyone have a St. Judes?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my St. Jude for just over four years. My surgeon said it came with a "lifetime guarantee"

Mark ;)

tick, tick , tick

tick, tick , tick

My husband got his St.Jude valve on Oct 22, 2004 to replace his aortic valve. He is doing great so far.

-Barati

Got my St.Judes on 01/12/2005 I called for the promotional kit also sounds interesting. I thought it would be a good way for my 9 year old son to understand what makes me tick now! I got the regent model my doc said it should out last me I sure hope so!

I even got stock in St. Jude Medical...

Well, it's "play money" as part of a semester stock project in my math class, but if I had the real cash to buy stock (I REALLY want to put just $500 into the market to play with for a little while and see how I do, if I can make a little money at it...)

When I saw the surgeon who replaced my tricuspid valve in 2003 he really didn't offer any other options. From all the information and testimony I've seen since then on SJM valves, they seem to be the preffered choice for their longevity, ease of implantation, and a variety of other factors.

Every company has had some ups and downs with valve products. It's a rather hard thing to reproduce artificially, but most of the SJM valves out there in the world seem to be doing really well and it's not uncommon to run into someone who has had a SJM valve for well over ten years.

Theoretically, the valves they make now should "outlive" you regardless of how old you get. The "x-factor" is how you live your life, how well you take care of yourself. Lifestyle seems to have a greater effect on the longevity of heart valves more than anything else and SJM valves seem to do the best out of all of the valves on the market.

Try not to get worried so much about stuff like now noisy the valve is or how well it performs against clotting issues and other factors various makers try to use to promote their valves.

The truth of the matter is, your life, being able to continue to live a fairly active, healthy, normal life, is MUCH more important than a constant (and usually barely noticible) click eminating from your chest.

Mine clicks, if the room is quite some people can hear it when they stand close to me. Not everyone can pick it up though and I'm usually not conscious of it now unless I focus on it and sometimes, even then, I can't pick it out if I'm in a noisy environment.

The ticking may take a little time getting used to, it took me about a week to be able to put it out of my mind and sleep when I first became aware of it. About the same for my wife when I finally got home from the hospital. Now, it's almost a novelty. My wife, my son, and I all find it comforting. They like layign on my chest with and ear pressed in just listening to it go. I like listening to it too at times. It's a reminder of how much I've been through, how valuable life is to me, and how precious it can be.

Ok, so it can be damned hard to sleep when you first get it, so what? A lot of people harp on having to take the anticoagulants and getting bloodwork "all the time." Eh... I get a fingerstick once a month along with a check of my pulse, BP, temp, and weight. My INR's been in range for over a year now with only "marginal" variations when I come down with a cold (I've got a new one right now actually) and I'm in a really good rhythm for taking my meds, in the morning when I first get up with a glass of orange juice (I rarely eat breakfast) and in the evening before dinner (that's when I take my warfarin).

It's not that big of a deal. The effects on my life and my lifestyle are minimal at best. Ok, so I don't have any alcohol anymore outside of MAYBE a little sip of something or other) that's more by choice than anything else and my wife gripes at me when I suggest that I'd like a beer with my burger when we go out to eat.

I've thought off and on about getting another tattoo, but that's out of the question now that I'm on anticoagulants and it's not something I need by any stretch of the imagination.

It doesn't effect what I do when I go to the dentist. It might affect what I did if I needed another operation for something, but then that would be the case regardless just because of the heart condition I have, it's one more thing on a list of precautions that have to be taken for me, no big deal.

I shave with a wet razor about 70% of the time. I'm an avid amateur cook/chef. I'm a photographer who's running around in the field doing slightly dangerous things in slightly dangerous situations many times and I'm in training to be an EMT. I'm also a firefighter now... I even do some kung-fu.

Much of that is POST surgery.

Why the hell not? I take care of myself, I'm mindful of my body and the condition it's in. I take care not to push too hard or take on things I know my body probably can't handle. I'm slow and methodical, I try stuff that I'm interested in but I'm wary of what might go wrong and I keep an eye out for it.

You may need a little more vigilance sporting a mechanical (or even a biological valve) but there really shouldn't be any significant changes to your lifestyle except that you might be able to do MORE than you can do now if your health is degraded because of valve disease....

I like my artificial valve. It does exactly what it's supposed to do and it's been doing it flawlessless since it was put in. I fully expect it to be that way for another 50 years at least. :D

Phil and Niki:

I think I've mentioned this somewhere before but thought it was worth repeating in here... =)

Last summer I got to speak to a few Tibetan monks for a story I did for the newspaper. While in their hotel room with a translator one of the monks started tapping at his watch, listening to it off and on and even winding it up at one point. When I picked up on what he was doing, I asked the translator to tell him it wasn't the watch that he was hearing....

:eek:

The translator hadn't noticed the ticking until then, but now everyone (there were three lamas, the translator, and me in the room) was focused on me and what the translator just said.

I explained that I had a "plastic" valve inside my heart and that's where the noise was coming from, not the ticking of his watch.

They were all a little bit puzzled but VERY curious. It was pretty neat. =)

resting heart rate is usually between 80 and 90 bpm which is faster than an analog clock and that tends to be the source of the "confusion" when someone starts eyeing their watch. Usually they'll hear two different clicks, one from the watch and a second from me, and they're only in sync for a few moments because mine is a little faster.

Funny thing now though is, I have to REALLY focus to take someone's pulse and blood pressure for my EMT work because it's a LOT easier for my brain to stop counting THEIR beats and start counting my own!!!

I'm getting better though. =)

I have had my St. Jude Aortic Valve since April 2003.
The only time I hear it anymore is at night in bed.
Take Care

I can add my name to the recipient list of St. Jude valves. I can hear it more than I could at first but usually just at night and in certain rooms under certain conditions....like while taking a bath or riding in an elevator.

Given the alternatives, the click is now my best friend

It's a great audio reminder of living every moment in extended play

Warfarin is a cheap habit to feed

This is my 1st mechanical and 2nd St Jude

It should only outlast me

Good health to ALL

Phil

Does anyone have St. Judes Valve

Does anyone have St. Judes Valve

beccaslp said:
Have heard others mentioned, but not the St. Jude's. That is what I will be getting June 1. Does anyone else have one? Let me know - BECCA
Becca,

I have had a St. Judes valve in the aortic position for 15 years and have been taking coumadin for that peroid of time. Initially, I could hear the valve when things were quiet but the longer I 've lived with it the less I notice it and again it is only when things are very quiet. Don't let that concern you. Additionally I have not had any difficulty being on coumadin with respect to bleeding. This valve functions quite nicely. If I can answer any questions you might have feel free to let me know.

Becca

Becca

I did not check all he posts here, but I am sure you got plenty to read and here is mine. I was born with congential heart defect, murmur in the aortic valve. Had repair and 28 years later, aortic valve replaced with St. Jude's. My quality of life improved, just have to take warafin(coumadin). Got more active and not restricted from anything. I go to the gym 5 days a week and have worked up to 90 minutes each day. It is not hard for me, now 40 years old and also type 2 diabetic. It is better for me and doing great. I have not made many changes, only for the diabetes. You just have to get educated and make you own choice. If you are young and not wanting surgery again soon, go for the St. Jude's. But the choice is your. Good luck and keep visiting and asking question.

st.jude mech valve here too...since dec. 17th 2003 and i can hear it loud and clear ..everyday...., i also have a watch story regarding a nurse...LOL

I've had a St. Jude's since Aug. 1999 (in aortic position). No problems so far, despite receiving one with a Silzone cuff. The ticking bothered me at first, but I hardly ever hear it now.

I have one too!

I have one too!

I have had my St. Jude's Valve since May of 2004. I have not had any problems and I am on the go constantly. I teach elementary school and am taking 9 credits a week this semester towards a graduate degree in administration. I am really not limited in any way other than that I tire much more easily. My students CAN hear my valve as can my husband at night. I would love to know where I can get a plastic replica as it my be very useful in helping my students understand why their teacher TICKS! Anyone know the phone number to get the model mentioned earlier in this thread?

St. Jude Valve Kit

St. Jude Valve Kit

I contacted my surgeon's office to get my plastic valve. The valve also came with a brochure & video (marketing kit). Anyway, the surgeon's office contacted St. Jude directly.

Glad you're doing well! I had my St. Jude valve implanted on July 6th, so we're at a similar point in our recovery . . .

Wishing you well,
Buzz

beccaslp said:
Have heard others mentioned, but not the St. Jude's. That is what I will be getting June 1. Does anyone else have one? Let me know - BECCA[/QUOTE

Hi Becca,

Please shop around! St. Jude valves are the current valve of choice,
but remember all the other things that have gone into storage. You might look at Edward Life Science Lab. I still have their original Aortic valve which I had replaced in June, 1976.

Best of Luck, and Health, Heinz

beccaslp said:
Have heard others mentioned, but not the St. Jude's. That is what I will be getting June 1. Does anyone else have one? Let me know - BECCA

I had an Aortic valve replacement with the St Jude's in May 2001 at UPMC in Pittsburgh. It was a research valve at the time and a year later it became FDA approved. There are times when the clicking is more noticable than others. At 39, the surgery went well and I felt it was a quick recovery.

I have two also. Aortic and Mitral. We been together 4 years ago, yesterday. March 8th. I hear mine all the time. Sometimes in unison, sometimes not. Like Sherry said, better than the alternative! :D

Back