Does anyone have a St. Judes?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new owner as of 2 1/2 weeks ago

did not receive any info either---serial #, etc---will call st jude's today

cannot hear any clicking

must admit with this coumadin challenge, I do miss my old homograft

just called st jude's---they receive my info from hospital---they will automatically send me a card in 2 weeks they said

I've had a St. Jude's for a couple of years. I'm here to tell the story, so I guess it works OK. I can't sleep laying on my left side because then the ticking seems loud to me, otherwise I seldom hear it. Biggest pain in the neck is having to deal with Warfarin/Coumadin, but that's unavoidable with mechanical valves.

beccaslp said:
Have heard others mentioned, but not the St. Jude's. That is what I will be getting June 1. Does anyone else have one? Let me know - BECCA

I have a st. jude put in in sept. 2000 also have a pacemaker so i'm not sure which one i here but its usually at nite when it's quiet

Does anyone have a St. Judes?

I've had St. Jude's in the mitral and aortic positions since Christmas Eve 2004---eleven weeks. I am feeling great now and I'm the only one who hears the slight clicking, and then only in a very quiet environment. The clicking bothered me at first but now it's more of a reassurance!

Mike
Rome, NY

St Judes

St Judes

I have two St Judes valves, mitral and aortic that will be celebrating their 20th birthday next month. This is my first post. I have been interested in the home monitor INR machines. I have been enjoying reading the past posts regarding St Judes valves and home monitor's. Very helpful.
Every person makes their own decisions on which valve to choose along with their doctors input. If I knew then what I know now---far to much to go into.

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

I have a St. Jude's valve fro just over a year! It does tick, but my surgeon said that if I don't hear it - I should call him. I find it reassuring.

Heidi511 said:
I have a St. Jude's valve fro just over a year! It does tick, but my surgeon said that if I don't hear it - I should call him. I find it reassuring.
If you don't hear it, are you supposed to call from heaven? :confused:

I have one too!!

I have one too!!

I received my St Judes #25 Aortic Valve on Feb. 2, 2005 emergently. Since there wasnt much of a consultation with the surgeon and I am 36 my Doctor chose the St Judes valve over the tissue valve because it has more longevity. The downside is taking coumadin or an anticoagulant daily for life (if you think thats a downside)I'd rather take a pill then have to be repaired again. I feel great and am recovring daily. I can hear my valve. But as long as I'm ticking , I'm living.

Feel Secure

Feel Secure

Special K said:
I received my St Judes #25 Aortic Valve on Feb. 2, 2005 emergently. Since there wasnt much of a consultation with the surgeon and I am 36 my Doctor chose the St Judes valve over the tissue valve because it has more longevity. The downside is taking coumadin or an anticoagulant daily for life (if you think thats a downside)I'd rather take a pill then have to be repaired again. I feel great and am recovring daily. I can hear my valve. But as long as I'm ticking , I'm living.
I was 37 when I received my St. Jude valve, 3 1/2 years ago. The reasons you stated are the same that made me decide to go with this mechanical valve. My surgery was at the Cleveland Clinic and my surgeon was Dr. Delos Cosgrove. He highly recommended this device. The coumadin therapy is not that bad. I am researching getting a home testing device just to make life simpler. If the ticking noise bothers you at night, I suggest a sleep machine or air purifier to drown out the noise. It took me several months to get used to it, now I don't hear anything. I have felt very good since my surgery with not problems. Good luck.

I guess being 24 I really wasnt given much of a choice. I may have been doped up when they asked but I dont remember them asking beef, pork, or titanium. If this mechanical valve will last me 50-60 years I guess it will be worth the money. Plus with the beef or pork valve, I would hate to start sweating, getting ancy, and run out of the kitchen in a screaming fit of panick when my Grandma is cooking bacon or steaks.

St Judes Valve

St Judes Valve

I've had an aortic St judes valve since October 1997 which replaced a calcified bicuspid valve. Works great. There is some audible ticking which I have learned to enjoy. Coumadin has not been a problem for me other than having to adjust the dosage between 6 to 7 mg. per day. I'm currently concerned about some possible dilation of my aorta.

St. Jude Valve

St. Jude Valve

My mitral valve was replaced in 1984 with a St. Jude valve. So far so good.
Good luck to you.

Back