Do you forget to take your med pills?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one time I was caught up on the thought of “I don’t want to take so many pills. This is horrible! I’m so young and only old people do this! I’m better than this!!”. But, at least for me, I came to terms with my health and ACTUAL well being being more important than rampant, inaccurate, and negative thoughts of feeling “less than” simply because I take pills.
Like you, I was apprehensive about "taking pills". However, a strong reduction of health risk was much more important.

I find the pill box to be really useful for managing the intake. Placed in a visible place, it's a constant reminder, as well as an evidence if I already took them. It also very useful when on a short-term travel - no messing with several bottles.

Refilling it once a week is a nice weekend ritual. The whole process got easier after a few months. But I did have to work on it. My pills list is not long or terribly critical. The issue was a variable morning schedule (frequent zoom meetings), combined with some preferences (aspirin before breakfast, and statin during/after). The pillbox, it's placement, and getting used to it helped. Now I'd probably feel like "something is missing" if I don't chase breakfast with pills :)

Now I'd probably feel like "something is missing" if I don't chase breakfast with pills :)
same here ... but its dinner ;-)

I feel like everything, its a matter of getting past the unconscious feelings and then using the conscious mind. This also explains why it seldom happens ;-)

same here ... but its dinner ;-)
Whatever works :) Dinner seems better for some medicines. It was just easier for me to "tie" the pills to the breakfast.

I feel like everything, its a matter of getting past the unconscious feelings and then using the conscious mind. This also explains why it seldom happens ;-)
The feeling "I'm not that old dude with the pillbox" was quite conscious. But then I also know that my mind quickly maps everybody under 30 in the same "young person" category :ROFLMAO: Ultimately it's "just" execution of developing a new habit.

The feeling "I'm not that old dude with the pillbox" was quite conscious
my first milestone on that was needing +1.5's on to see the pixels on my screen when doing unsharp masks in photoshop for prints that I was going to pay >$300 for (which in 2009 was more than it is now).

this feeling it not to be ignored, or disregarded. You need to be conscious of it. One of the best script quotes on this topic I've ever encountered:
you heard a voice ... a voice that sounded like reason, and there was a reason to it, as the most compelling lies are comprised almost entirely of the truth. But that's what it does. Cloaks itself in whatever it must to move you to action. And the more you deny its presence, the more powerful it gets, and the more likely it is to consume you entirely without you ever knowing it was there.
Captain Flint; black sails.

• Haha
Reactions: V__
Every Sunday I fill the weekly box which I have near the keyboard so I often see the box.
I have a notification on my mobile and a reminder on my computer, so when I'm out of the house I'll hear the mobile and when I'm at home or in the office I'll also see the reminder on the PC screen.
I have everything with me on my keys and a small case that holds 3 doses of my pills.
For 3 years now, I have not missed a dose, only once I was late to take my pill by 1 hour, the reason was that I was swimming but I had it in mind that it was time.

Attachments

• pro-NcehGD4e.jpeg
    pro-NcehGD4e.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 0
"I don't need no stinking pillbox' (taken from a classic film quote).

Actually, I used to have a pillbox -- sometimes two - but worked out a method that works for me:

I have a few medications that I take twice a day. When I've taken my morning dose. I turn the bottle upside down. I can tell at a glance whether or not I've taken it. When I take my second dose. I flip the bottle up. It's simple and it works.

I take my morning dose when I'm warming milk for my wife's hot cocoa. My bedtime dose is done at the end of the day after my wife has taken HER pills. There's one more pill that I take in the afternoon and at bedtime -- I use the 'flip - unflip' method to know that I've taken my dose.

If there was a pill that I took three times a day. this simple method won't work.
I take my warfarin at the same time EVERY DAY after my wife takes her medications.
It's habit -- I haven't missed a dose of Warfarin for a LONG time -- but a seven day pill box or some other method may work better for you. Use whatever works for you.

Compliance is essential -- needing medications isn't a sign of weakness -- but failing to take meds can be a sign of something much worse -- YOU fill in the blanks here.

MMDV My Mileage Does Vary. The flippy bottle method seems risky. I have had things come up which vacuum up my attention for at least a day derailing any routine. I could lose track and miss two times (one day's routine) and not catch it. On the day I noticed the bottle I might not even consider whether I missed twice. It would not show me enough info. I would use a \ and / forming an X on a calendar day if I took something twice a day. Just adding to the discussion.

Reactions: V__
MMDV My Mileage Does Vary. The flippy bottle method seems risky. I have had things come up which vacuum up my attention for at least a day derailing any routine. I could lose track and miss two times (one day's routine) and not catch it. On the day I noticed the bottle I might not even consider whether I missed twice. It would not show me enough info. I would use a \ and / forming an X on a calendar day if I took something twice a day. Just adding to the discussion.
I use a seven day flippy door, that works for me, due to meds I take in the morning and the meds I take in the evening.

Back