Do you feel lucky?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryC

For the last 15 years I have been tracking my family's mitral heart valve issue. Most of the time I was fine but when I got tired and frustrated and especially leading up to my surgery I thought 'Why me? Why do I have to deal with this heart problem?' My 62 year old sister has been diagnosed with a disease called Cortical Basal Ganglionic Degeneration, CBGD for short. This horrible disease has no real treatment and has been a downward spiral for my sister. It has really diminished my emphasis on my heart condition because my heart can be fixed - even if it has to be fixed multiple times...it can be fixed. If I go by the accounts of others who have had CBGD, my sister will be bedridden in a matter of years. Yes - I am very very lucky!

Mary for sure when we think we have it bad,
and think why me.....Look around and there
is the next person worse off than us.
never heard about what this disease is..have to read
on it and add a prayer for her too.

zipper2 (DEB)

Thank you, Zipper. Everything I have read is pretty grim and seeing someone who is my hero go through this is not something I expected to be facing. But whoever plans for these things in life, right?

When I heard my brother talk about the things he saw in Iraq when he came home on leave, I felt lucky. He's got everything going for him, so I just hope he makes it back unscathed. There really aren't many things that make me feel lucky about my situation though.

Aaron,

I feel lucky.

I am lucky that my aortic stenosis was diagnosed before major problems occurred
I am lucky to have been born in a time that this operation was possible
I am lucky to have found a great surgeon
I am lucky that my blocked arteries were diagnosed before having a heart attack
I am lucky because this whole experience has given me a new outlook on life

I feel lucky

Mary

I'm sorry to read this report on your sister and I have offered a prayer for all concerned ... Gratitude is something that often slips away ... I need to be reminded ... Thanks

Aaron,

I feel lucky.

I am lucky that my aortic stenosis was diagnosed before major problems occurred
I am lucky to have been born in a time that this operation was possible
I am lucky to have found a great surgeon
I am lucky that my blocked arteries were diagnosed before having a heart attack
I am lucky because this whole experience has given me a new outlook on life

I feel lucky

Mary

I'd be feeling lucky too! Wow.

Don't get me wrong, when I said there aren't many things that make me feel lucky, the members of this forum were excluded. Most of the stories on this forum make me feel fortunate. Dawn-marie's situation is harrowing but her cool about it is profoundly admirable. If I could just borrow some courage from her I'd be doing great. :)

I'm 25 surrounded by very fortunate healthy people IRL, so this is kind of my weak spot. I'm not the best at feeling ok about what's going on with me yet, but I think I'm getting better.

I was saying somewhere the other day that each person's plight is equally horrible, because it's mostly relative to their own life experience. I think what we're talking about here is the ability, and the fortune, to experience just for a moment someone else's plight and feel how much worse it could be. Some people will never juxtapose their plight.

It's funny because I also mention pretty often in my conversations that 50 years ago, I might be done for. I do feel lucky to live in the current times, for sure.

I feel very lucky. I've mentioned this before, but my OHS was a life changing experience as it made me realize my mortality and how precious life is. I am very sorry to hear about your sister. Best wishes going out to her.

Mary, I am so sorry about your sister's illness. I know what you mean though. Many are the times I come to this forum tired and depressed, feeling sorry for myself. Then I read what many of you are going through, and get a reality check! My mother's cardiologist has written a book about his struggle with a degenerative disease, I forget which. I heard him and his wife on the radio. I'll have to look it up, and post the title here. Sounded like it may be of help to many of us, just in dealing with life's challenges. Maybe a good gift for your beloved sister. I'll be praying for her. Your valve bro, Brian

Thanks for everyone's kind words. My oldest sister just keeps giving me a positive example to live by....even if it is hard to see her struggle.

I don't feel lucky as much as I feel fortunate.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister.

I also feel very bad about your sister.

As far as myself, yes, I do feel very lucky to live in this century with all the surgical wonders and to have found an excellent surgeon.

So sorry to hear that your sister has been diagnosed with a rotten condition.

Do I feel lucky?
Yes...I feel lucky because I have been on the brink of death and was brought back to life (3rd time lucky!) I now appreciate and value the simple pleasures of life.

Mary, sorry to hear about your sister. It's not something that I am familiar with, although it sounds like what my mother's neighbor has. He is in his 50's and they originally thought he had a stroke, but now say he has something similar to Lou Gehrig's Disease. I pray that they find a cure, or at least an effective treatment in time to benefit your sister.

Since I have been dealing with my heart issue since I was a teenager (for over 30 years), I have had many opportunities to wonder, "Why me?" However, I also have to ask, "Why not me?" Am I such a great person that I deserve a perfect life? Not hardly! In fact, I deserve something a lot worse! Good people sometimes have bad things happen to them and bad people sometimes have good things happen to them. I just know that when I get to heaven, my heart will be perfect! (and my butt will be small!)

Since I have been dealing with my heart issue since I was a teenager (for over 30 years), I have had many opportunities to wonder, "Why me?" However, I also have to ask, "Why not me?" ........................

Growing up with a chronic medical problem does IMHO give you a more together positive balanced approach to health difficulties than the sudden onset of illness. For me it started with a heart murmur aged 6. Lots of years getting stuff in perspective.

Many times as an in patient on Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery wards, I've found myself in the role of support counsellor to the stunned men and women who have had a sudden heart attack at work or in the street and find themselves via a flurry of flashing blue lights in an alien shocking situation.

I always give thanks for the thinking time I was allowed to rationalise my illness and consider that very lucky.

Mary, I'm so very sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis. I'll keep her in my prayers. As for feeling lucky, as others have already posted, I do feel lucky to live in a time that has so much technology & advancement in medicine. Another of my sons was very sick at birth and spent some time recovering in the PICU after surgery ... the sites from the days in the PICU made me realize how lucky I am. When I start to feel bad about my Andrew's health situation, I think of so many others who have it worse and I feel lucky, or maybe fortunate is a better word. Wishing your sister all the best.

or maybe fortunate is a better word.

*nods*

Yes...imho, fortunate is a better word than lucky. I don't feel lucky at all (in more ways than one)...but, I feel fortunate to live in a time where technology can assist in keeping people healthy. I feel fortunate to have the health I do...so that I can do my road trips and meet people. ...etc.

Mary ... thoughts/prayers en route to you and your sister.....

hi cort! i know this if off topic, but ... i was not fortunate enough to hear any of your broadcasts this summer. are you still doing them?

Not to be off topic, but I've got to ask. For those of you who say you feel more fortunate than lucky, what is the difference to you between the two words? According to dictionary.com, fortunately means, "having good fortune; receiving good from uncertain or unexpected sources; lucky" and lucky means, "having or marked by good luck; fortunate". They are listed as synonyms for each other. Another similar word, but to me altogether different, is blessed.

Back