Different types of valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Beverly

This question is for anyone who cares to respond. I had my aortic valve replaced in 1990 and at that time I was told there were three choices. The choices were human, porcine or mechanical. In reading the postings I see terms such as SynerGraft treated valves, & CryoValves. I am wondering if these are human valves that have been frozen or otherwise treated?

hi bev!
welcome! this is a great site for info and everyone here is so wonderfully supportive and kind.
please check out the following thread by peter easton:
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304&highlight=making+the+choice
many of us have found this one to be particularly helpful. there are others here who will direct you toward info regarding the cryolife synergraft (john cochran and ross are about to get theirs, and mara has one too). please check out this thread by jim (also very informative):
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=325&highlight=cryolife+synergraft
i hope this helped some. please keep us posted as to what, when, where, etc.
be well, sylvia

Hi Bev-
I have a CryoLife Synergraft. I had the Ross Procedure and so my synergraft is my pulmonic valve. Here is how the vavle was explained to me. It is a de-populated human vavle that it treated with some special stuff and then when you get it, your body re-populates the valve with your cells, so it becomes part of you. Maybe Jennie and some others who just got the aortic synergraft have better info.
So, your options appear to be, essentially still the same: human, porcine, mechanical.

Good luck,
Mara

Hi Bev,

Welcome to a great group of heart buddies who can be very helpful to you both before and after surgery. As Mara has said, your valve choices are basically the same now, although a few newer or enhanced versions, such as the CryoValve-SynerGraft, which is a human valve in the US, are becoming available.

I too have a CryoValve-SynerGraft valve, the first that I know of on this site to receive one. I had a pulmonary one implanted in the aortic position and thus, after 8 months of excellent recovery and results, am unfortunately having some leakage through it. Now, the aortic version of it is available, though, and I still think it is an excellent option. Always a bit more risk with something new, though, as my case well illustrates.

It has been a true roller coaster. I was scheduled to have resurgery this week and then it was delayed till next week. I had moderate to severe leakage and a left ventricle size of 64.

After 5 days of bed rest, in the hospital and at home, my latest echo last Monday revealed a reduction in heart size to 55 and leakage to mild! So, now they have canceled my surgery and orderd more tests, with a tilt board, etc. It's a bit of a mystery to both my cardiologist and surgeon why my heart condition has been fluctuating so much. Perhaps it is because the SynerGraft valve is capable of adjustment by the body which adopts it as its own, unlike other types of valves. As it is, I remain a very interesting experimental case with this new valve and will keep everyone on this site posted as to how it all unfolds.

There is a lot of information from previous discussions on this website. Especially, read everything in this section called Valve Choice and also in the sections called New Advancements and Pre-surgery.

Valve choice is a very personal decision and there are many opinions out there. There is no clear cut choice at this time; all options have their pros and cons and it is worth your time investigating them. Whatever choice you go with, though, make sure that you also choose a surgeon who favors and is very experienced with that type of valve.

Good luck and God bless,

Steve

Latest posts

Back