Diet

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

karen wallin

HI,

Just wondering if anyone has some good suggestions for a diet that is good for weight loss while taking coumadin?

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the quick reply, but I am looking for something that I can do on my own. I travel alot and cannot attend meetings or get to a computer to check in online. I will keep searching

I tried to do a search on the subject and came up with nothing. I bet Nancy has some ideas. Of course you could always come to my weight loss clinic. It's free of charge and simple, I just don't eat and I lose weight. :D Did I mention that since your not eating food, the food is free?

Sorry, trying to fun with ya until someone has some good ideas.

hi karen!
i've been seeing a nutritionist for the last year (i was feeling very tired). she hads changed the way i eat. i used to grab food on the run_ breadsticks, a quick yogurt, an apple_ and that would be lunch.
she basically has increased my protein intake, lessened the number of carbs i consume and has changed the ones i do eat to whole grain and complex carbs (no white bread, white rice, etc). she also believes in frequent small meals/ snacks. this way, you never feel starved!
we normally cook lowfat, low salt meals at home anyway, so it was not such a big adjustment.
i think her "diet" or way of life is very similar to sugar busters and the zone combined.
maybe your best bet is to look into a book as a guide and use that?
i would be happy to fax you or mail any info/ sheets i have on this diet. you must remember though, it is tapered to my personal likes and dislikes.
i wish you the best of luck. please let us know how you do.
be well, sylvia

Last edited:
Another Approach

Another Approach

Hi Karen- There are a gazillion diet books available at your local book store or on one of the book store web sites. I bought Diets for Dummies several months ago, and it has quite a bit of useful and educational material. I'm currently reading"The 8 Week Cholesterol Cure" by Robert E. Kowalski. This is a lot more than a diet book, and is very useful if you also have a cholesterol problem. Published in 1989, this book hit the New York Times bestseller list. The author dropped his cholesterol level dramatically in just 8 weeks in a way that can be sustained without a terribly restrictive diet, and without medication. Oat bran muffins play a big role in his methodology, and the book demystifies the world of cholesterol. What is more important, he shows a realistic way to clean up your vascular system and reduce your risk of heart disease in a way that is easily understood. I'd reccomend it. Chris

Hi Karen-

You could do some wondrous things by eliminating as much sodium as you can from your diet. It'll help your heart and also help your body get rid of unnecessary water weight. You could stop using salt at the table, and go to no salt butter or margarine, or none at all and ask that your food be prepared w/o salt when dining out, also ask for salad dressing on the side, and try not to eat too much bread, it has a lot of salt.

Another good thing to do is to eat what you would normally eat, but just put aside about a third, and then not eat that. That's sort of a painless way to go, but probably won't cause big weight loss, just a steady loss. If you eliminate 100-200 calories each day from your diet, you won't miss them and over time, you'll have loss. At the same time, you could increase your walking. About a 35-40 minute walk on the treadmill at a moderate rate will burn about 100 calories. So people are right when they recommend that you park at the far end of the parking lot to get in extra walking. Every little bit helps.

Of course, now I'll have to take my own advice. LOL:D

Latest posts

Back