Describe your days post op...am i resting too much?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One clear thing that we all agree with is that it's advisable to be going out more than once a day...as far as distance or time, that's not much of a concern as my guess is that it's as much about motivation than anything else for me. Just like going to the gym, the hardest part is just getting there.

As far as recovery and focus on self, the reason I respond well when I read posts that tell me to 'be good to myself' or 'give myself permission' is that in a way I don't connect with allowing myself to be taking it so easy. I've been doing nothing but sleeping the month prior to surgery...

This thread (and most of my threads) are created of course for my own needs but I am aware of others who might have similar questions or fears or who just like to read someone's experiences mostly post op in my case.

I'm interested not just in myself but in anyone's typical day at various points in recovery. The stories help me 'fit in' my personal experience...Only by reading here did I see most people seem to suggest going out more times, even if it's less walking...a simple thing sure but that's not what I've been doing...But I will go out 2twice today and try to make that a regular pattern.

This second OHS has been maybe 1/10th the trauma of the first, mostly mentally...I do suffer a bit of fear of some of the issues like depression that I did experience the first time. Nothing anyone can say will remove those fears...there's nothing to do about them except do what I am doing and all the things I know that work for me.

As far as focus on myself and use of "I and me", sure I get that, no offense taken...but at the same time, I am pm'ing members and visa versa answering questions, trying my best to give back and share what knowledge and experience I might have.

I'd like nothing better than to not be thinking so much about recovery..I am positively ecstatic on the outcome of this surgery...I've carried the burden of knowing I'd need another surgery for a few years. It's not been easy to say the least.

I wish I were easier going about things like this...I'm just not. My first surgery was epic due to wild reactions to morphine, it was violent and disturbing. I have never heard nor has any doctor or nurse heard a more intense post op reaction..It would be hard to imagine what toll that took on me and what it felt like to have to let go and do it again.

But today is a good day...the only way through it is by doing it. I thank God for an incredible outcome and each day will reduce my preoccupation with survival...For me, nothing is harder than being weak, out of control and at the mercy of who knows what.

By sharing here as I do, it's part of the process of gaining information and a feeling of control that I am not alone, many have had it much worse and are doing incredible things.

Darn I missed the marathon..I run it every year! (lie!)

If ever it was a time to take it easy - now is the time. Do stuff, but rest more.
At two weeks, I went back into the hospital with afib. Sometimes I think it was because I was doing too much too soon.
As far as walking, I was told to walk 3-4 times a day and try to build up an extra minute or two each day. I was also told not to walk on inclines for the first month.

I did start taking myself to the movies (a short walk from the parking lot followed by a 2 hour rest) and doing some light grocery shopping just to get out of the house. I took a lot of cat naps and thought of them as healing. YOur body does heal itself while you sleep. I was on the internet a lot during this time, but I did find that excessive typing made my chest sore.

Don't compare yourself to pre-surgery yet. It will take several weeks to get to that level.

If ever it was a time to take it easy - now is the time. Do stuff, but rest more.
At two weeks, I went back into the hospital with afib. Sometimes I think it was because I was doing too much too soon.
As far as walking, I was told to walk 3-4 times a day and try to build up an extra minute or two each day. I was also told not to walk on inclines for the first month.

I did start taking myself to the movies (a short walk from the parking lot followed by a 2 hour rest) and doing some light grocery shopping just to get out of the house. I took a lot of cat naps and thought of them as healing. YOur body does heal itself while you sleep. I was on the internet a lot during this time, but I did find that excessive typing made my chest sore.

Don't compare yourself to pre-surgery yet. It will take several weeks to get to that level.

I just have to agree...I was unexpectedly wiped out today..I slept and slept and slept and I just refuse to feel bad about it...missed the day which I'm not happy about but I have a cardio appt early afternoon and that ensures I get out and stay out for a few hours.

Pushed it a bit last night on my second walk...My mentality has been, once I am walking to just keep walking no matter how tired because I know I can do it...it's not intense fast walking and I do pay attention to heart rate and perceived exertion but on the other hand, clearly I pay for it the next day.I tested walking the stairs in my building as I had to go to another floor to buy a laundry card..It was 4 flights down and then up. 2-3 flights were not a problem but the last one was a little hard. No more steps for a couple of weeks! ..I think that's the only way for me to learn my limitations and before I know it, I'm sure I'll just be able to be out more often and for longer periods.

Latest posts

Back