Date in 7 days at Cleveland Clinic Florida.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJoelHenry

I will have a cat scan next Wednesday, a cath on Thursday and the main event on Friday 08/01/2008.

What a beautiful facility CCF is! (thanks Al!) Everyone was top shelf, the doctors determined I also have an AA aneurism (4.9 and I am 6?4?) that will also be addressed by putting a new piece of pipe in, so this disqualified me from my great hope of Min Invasive Surgery. ?.

They were supportive of my choice for a natural valve, he expects 20 years from it and confirmed that valves are being replaced by cath right now today, and will be standard when I am due next time in 2028.

He said I had the lowest ejection numbers he had seen on a person still walking around, and confirmed I should have done this last year. He said we need to do it next week, or yesterday.

Getting the date is the second punch in the gut, I am glad it is soon, so I do not have much more time to dwell on it.

I look forward to ?the other side? I have tried to make plans, and in fact with all my reflection about this, I am very much looking forward to my return to do many, many things,,,,,,

I am terrified somewhere inside, but that will pass as soon as I start count backwards from 100.

How soon till I can walk up/down stairs?

Thanks for all your kind support, I am using the spur meter in hopes that may help me later.

Keep smiling,

CJ

C.J.

I just put your date on the calendar, so we're ready for this even if you're not!;)
I had an occupational therapist visit me in the hospital, and we practiced going up and down a few stairs before I was released. Our home has two sets of stairs to manuever, and I went up and down them at least once a day after I got home. However, if you can avoid stairs, I would. You might get different advice with your discharge instructions; I'm just relating my personal experience.
Good luck!

CJ,
Congratulations on your choices. You will do great! I went to CCO (Cleveland Clinic Ohio) and they were incredible people with great skill and bed-side manner. I am sure it's the same in Florida. Make friends with the nurses, they are the ones who will handle most of your care.

During my OHS they went for a full sternotomy to repair my AA aneurysm and it was a lot less painful than I thought it would be. Many of the patients with minimally invasive surgery had more incision pain than I did.

Good valve choice, it's the one I got and I have no regrets. I don't hear it and I don't think about it.

I was climbing stairs-VERY SLOWLY- on the day I was discharged; but don't rush your healing. I gradually felt better each day and now with my new valve I feel better than I have in years.

What's a Spur meter?

Oh.. they didn't have me count down from 100, they just said "Are you ready".

Be strong. Best of luck....you have great skill on your side.
John

CJ..... Happy to hear you feel so good about CC in Florida. Very important you have trust and confidence in those who will be taking care of you.

Both my OHS at Mass General, I was not permitted to leave the hospital until I could walk a full flight of stairs. That is one of the things they do the final morning before discharge....make you walk them. I had no trouble at all both surgeries. My bedroom is up a flight of stairs and I went up and down right from the start usually three or so times a day. Instructions were: as tolerated. No limit placed.

I got a bovine valve and I am so sure it was the right choice for me. My surgeon also hopes for 15-20 years from my valve (no one knows for sure, of course) and he also said he expects if I should need a replacement, by that time it will probably be done percutaneously. Mass General is working on the procedure 'as we speak'....so is Brigham and Women's and I'm many other heart centers.

I did not countdown from 100 either. :D They already had two lines in me and were starting to do something else when I asked if I really had to watch them do all this....... that is the last thing I remember until I woke in CICU and it was over.

You will do great at the clinic. My father-in-law was in his mid eightys and they did an AVR at the clinic and he lived for 5 more years. Died of a virus. Those people there are super!

As far as steps, they had me practicing steps in the hospital. When I got home, I was allowed to go up and down twice a day. From reading this thread, every doc is different w/this. See what they say.

Deb

Good choices and you will be fine. We will be watching and waiting for all good reports!

Yes Laura, LionHeart, the spelling is spirometer, my spellcheck changed it.

It kind of looks like a bong, and helps me practice taking deep breaths.

Here is a picture and description at wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirometer

I think they have me do this because I was a smoker.

The stairs are a great challenge right now, sounds like it will not be much worse post op, and look forward to not fearing them.

Keep smiling,

CJ

We all get the dreaded spirometer after OHS. It might be harder for smokers but it is very effective in getting the lungs working better/faster.

I was instructed to use mine, in hospital, ten minutes every 2 hours I was awake.
Neither time was I given it until after the surgery.
If you have trouble with the stairs because of shortness of breath, then hopefully that improves after surgery. That is one of the hoped for benefits. Don't expect immediate change but you should see it improve at a steady pace.

JKM7 Thanks for that info, they told me to do it for ten minutes, 4 times a day up to the operation, so that is about the same.

Gee, I thought I would be done with it then, but sounds like it will be around after the operation too. Did you have any breathing issues....my history of smoking is certain to come back to bite me.

I am looking forward to getting better, so I am very inspired to do whatever this takes.

Keep smiling,

CJ

I stayed in the hospital for 10 days. I was walking around in that gown on day 2 or 3. they put me in an upright chair the day after surgery. I couldn't turn my neck at all. I suggest keeping the nurse call button close in case you need a bed pan. good luck

while you are recovering in CC respiratory therapy will be in your room every 4 hours making you use the spirometer.

In addition they will also have you take deep breaths on a device that Dr. Boyd designed for use after surgery.

Dr. Boyd and Dr, Dullum are first rate. Dr. Boyd did my surgery and Dr. Dullum assisted. Their PA Chris is also first rate.

They will get a baseline spriometer reading before surgery, so they have a goal to work towards during recovery.

PS: they won't even give you the chance to count backwards. One minute I am joking with the anesthesiologist and Dr. Boyd. while Dr. Boyd was telling my wife this will be a lengthy procedure and to go back to her hotel and come back later. This was at 6:30 am, next thing I know I am waking up in ICU and it's 3:00pm.

JKM7 Thanks for that info, they told me to do it for ten minutes, 4 times a day up to the operation, so that is about the same.

Gee, I thought I would be done with it then, but sounds like it will be around after the operation too. Did you have any breathing issues....my history of smoking is certain to come back to bite me.

I am looking forward to getting better, so I am very inspired to do whatever this takes.

Keep smiling,

CJ

No, CJ. I had no breathing problems and I don't smoke or live with anyone who smokes. The use of the heart lung machine makes it mandatory we get our lungs function back to provide the level we need. They check oxygen level often the first days post op. (Only a large clip they put on a finger tip for a minute or so.) Don't fret if you need oxygen assistance post op. My first OHS, I was on oxygen for at least 3 days. This time only about 1 1/2 days.

I was out of CICU within 12 hours and walked halfway down the hall and back with my DH and nurse about 15 hours post op. I had four chest tubes so she put the drain containers onto the seat of a wheelchair. I held the handles of the chair to provide that measure of balance and security. DH on one side and nurse on the other and I did fine. Was very tired, of course, but that's to be expected.

You're going to a very fine institution with excellent physicians and staff. You'll get the best of care and do fine.

CJ, I smoke, had really cut down before surgery, two a day, but I HAD to have one before walking through "the peach-coloured doors" :) I was on the dreaded respirator for two days, but I was unconscious the whole time, so no worry there! Had no problems after, had oxygen for a day or two, then my levels came up on their own.

Here in Canada we do not have incentive spiro-thingys, we seem to manage just by doing big deep breaths on our own. I had no other lingering effects from being a smoker for 30 years or so.

Back