Dacron Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gary47

Does anybody have any info. on the longterm durability of Dacron repair in an Aortic Root reconstructon?

I had a dacron graft done in '89 , but on the ascending aorta. The aorta grows thru it and around it, accepting the dacron as it's own.
I would imagine that the lifespan of dacron grafts is very long.
Gail

Thanks

Thanks

Mine will be basically an aortic root reconstruction -but this is good to know (ascending? descending?) although my aortic valve is fine I am worried-I want to continue my active lifestyle after this running and lifting weights-although my dr. wants me to lift lighter weights and more repetitions he says I will be able to do all the running I want.

Gary
I had a dacron aortic root done in 1978. Lets see, thats 23 years ago?? Still working just fine!! ! I believe the dacron is the least of your concerns. I also have teflon, nylon and titanium. Not biodegradable!

Tick Tock

Tick Tock

This site really woke me up-thanks for the reply-it looks like all I am looking at is a dacron repair-valve is fine(trauma induced anuerysm)---when I recover from this I am going to run for charity-I used to just run for enjoyment-I am a pretty good citizen-coach a lot of youth sports -but I am going to do ---so much more -the people I have met on this site have been through so much-so brave and so supportive-it has been a blessing.

gary47
glad to have you here. so much experience, wisdom, and just plain kindness to be found. when my first valve replacement was done, they didnt even have patches and grafts. my surgeon said he looked around, and chose dacron to close up the aorta, and some teflon for some other purpose. lucky you getting to keep your valve!!! the best to you!
mindy

To add more,
I seem to remember that once the surgeon felt the
aorta had grown over the graft, I could return to
my normal lifestyle, which at the time was step arobics, weight training and swimming. It was either 6 mos or a year( or two?, sorry I don't remember those details) for the aorta to grow thru and around the graft. I'm sure your surgeon has the info on that and more since I had mine done in
'89 and they must have more information on all these things. I did return to my exercising and with a pig valve,too, at that time. I felt great for 11 years, til the valve started to leak.
You are very lucky to only have the aorta and not the valve involved.
Pick a surgeon that exudes confidence and you will do well,
Gail

Thanks Gail

Thanks Gail

I really look forward to any feedback- I am afraid-but I want to get the surgery over with-when I am able to start running again-I am going to do it with a purpose this time-I am going to raise money-I am going to be a better person-I see the effect the ordeals have had on the individuals on this site-you are GREAT people maybe this has been a blessing--I may post my picture-I am a Sonny Bono look alike!

Latest posts

Back