Cut myself pretty bad!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtkayak

Hey Folks,

During one of my many home improvement project, I accidently slipped and cut a piece of my thumb off with a razor. It was a small piece but wide enough to cause much bleeding. Why am I telling you this? Because I'm on Coumadin and the bleeding stopped! It took awhile, only because I didn't stop working and continue to finish my painting. I simply wrapped up my thumb with gauze and tape and continue to work. It feels funny because a small piece of my thumb is missing. :eek: In any case, bleeding stopped and I'm in range with my INR of 3.3.

Well now, isn't that amazing? You didn't bleed to death, require transfusions, or any other procedure. Perhaps this should say something to those that think they'll die from shaving because the powers that be, told them so.

The sooner that people stop calling it a blood thinner and relating to it as such, the more educated they can become. Goes without saying that stopping the bleeding is like any other wound, sterile pad and pressure!

Yes, as I type with 9 fingers instead of 10 today. :D

No trip to the ER was necessary, that was my point.

mtkayak said:
Yes, as I type with 9 fingers instead of 10 today. :D

No trip to the ER was necessary, that was my point.

Sometimes those cuts are wide slices that can't be sutured and it takes some doing to get the bleeding stopped. And it doesn't matter if you are on warfarin or not. It's still going to be bleeding a little over several days. Been there, done that.

But -- you're NOT going to bleed to death!!!

Just remember: Apply pressure!!!!!!!! And a roll of paper towels sometimes works better than itty-bitty 2X2 gauze pads as a bandage.

Had a near-death experience similar to yours while slicing onions. Took the top of my knuckle skin off. Wrapped it - kept on fixing dinner. Nice scar to show for it.

Injured hand while handling a horse

Injured hand while handling a horse

A couple of years ago I the top of my right index finger was injured reqiring 8-10 sutures to close.

Hospital 20 minutes away and by then the bleeding had stopped. So no big deal.

Suturing however ......... is another matter. "scary"

Karlynn said:
Had a near-death experience similar to yours while slicing onions. Took the top of my knuckle skin off. Wrapped it - kept on fixing dinner. Nice scar to show for it.
Is zesting onions with human skin a new thing? Is this an acquired taste?

I am a firemen and cut myself all the time, never had any problems.
My only worry is getting a head bang.

I am also a paramedic...and the only problem I see with coumaden it is head injures.

Our protocol sts that any head injury no matter how bad it appears goes to the trauma center, due to possible head bleed.

so we bring alot of patients to the trauma center, although I have never seen any of the to turn out to be anything, unless it was a major type of head injury

Dave S said:
I am a firemen and cut myself all the time, never had any problems.
My only worry is getting a head bang.

I am also a paramedic...and the only problem I see with coumaden it is head injures.

Our protocol sts that any head injury no matter how bad it appears goes to the trauma center, due to possible head bleed.

so we bring alot of patients to the trauma center, although I have never seen any of the to turn out to be anything, unless it was a major type of head injury

So you're a fireman?? It seems we have people coming on saying that a mechanical valve would end their firefighting career due to regulations. Did you have any issues?

Ross said:
Is zesting onions with human skin a new thing? Is this an acquired taste?

No cholesterol, no fat. It's used as a filler.

Seriously, after slicing off the side of my left index finger 2 years ago while chopping onions -- do we see a pattern here??? -- I wondered about restaurant food. Surely those folks don't slice & dice their fingers into the salad, soup, sauce or whatever.

I did find the missing slice of my finger. It was lying on the cutting board, right next to the chopped onions. It was kinda big, but still could have gotten mixed in very quickly.

Might have added something to the Frito pie I was trying to make for dinner that night. :eek:

catwoman said:
after slicing off the side of my left index finger 2 years ago while chopping onions -- do we see a pattern here??? --

Lightbulb!!!! It's not sharp cutting instruments that Coumadin users must stay away from, it's ONIONS!!!!!:D

I love to cook and I'm suprised I haven't cut myself doing that but I always use dull knives. I'm to lazy to sharpen them.

Stayed tuned, before the end of the year I may have oral surgery too. I'm trying to take care of all my surgeries this year :eek: I've already discussed it with my Card and the Oral Surgeon and the surgery will be performed while ON Coumadin. My Card insist that I stay on the Coumdan and the Surgeon agrees to do it as well. I have to have a deep cleaning where they cut the gum and pull it back. :eek: :eek:

Onions! We need to stay away from onions. It needs to be written up and given out to all new warfarin patients.

seriously, it is good to know that accidents such as you have all been describing are really no big deal (well, at least in terms of warfarin!) and that the bleeding will indeed stop!

Thanks for letting us know.

mtkayak,

I experienced the same couple of weeks ago when I started my extreme kitchen makeover by replacing the tiles on the walls, floor and putting a new kitchen block. This electric tile cutter produced some nasty, razor-like edges on the tile. Putting pressure on the wound appeared to be sufficient to stop the bleeding. In addition, I had to cut away some old stones and concrete, seriously bruising my hands whilst hammering. No real problems there.

Anyways, from what I gather, bleeding problems with warfarin tend to be of internal nature not so much external. Is seems logical to think that small to medium sized external wounds can be dried properly to improve clotting, where an INR of about 3 shouldn't be life threatening as long as you put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding. Of course, things are different when you lose a leg, get shot, or stabbed with a knife....

Back