CT Scan Results

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkey Hunter

I posted a few months ago that my docs thought I may have another aneurysm developing in my ascending aorta. (it had appeared to have grown 4mm in the course of one year; up to just over 5cm I think) (they were originally comparing two different types of scans....CT & MRI) We followed up with a CT at the request of the surgeon and myself.
I thought I would give everyone an update on the status of the potential problem.
Last Friday I went in for the 6 month follow-up.......It has stabilized and they want to do another scan in one year to continue to follow the aorta?s size.
Their exact quote was?.
?The aorta size is unchanged and to schedule another CT in one year.?

Everything else looks good as it has since my RP of August of 2000.

Wow, what a relief.

Take care all and be safe,

Ben

I don't know Ben, I've got a 3.5 going on in the abdomen and while it's just a baby, I'm petrified after having the ascending blow.

Im a little confused:

Where is it? I would have assumed they replaced your ascending aorta up to arch previously, is it the arch?

also, are they unsure as to growth or size? which i beleive you mention is 5cm.

Ben Smith said:
I posted a few months ago that my docs thought I may have another aneurysm developing in my ascending aorta. (it had appeared to have grown 4mm in the course of one year; up to just over 5cm I think) (they were originally comparing two different types of scans....CT & MRI) We followed up with a CT at the request of the surgeon and myself.
I thought I would give everyone an update on the status of the potential problem.
Last Friday I went in for the 6 month follow-up.......It has stabilized and they want to do another scan in one year to continue to follow the aorta?s size.
Their exact quote was?.
?The aorta size is unchanged and to schedule another CT in one year.?

Everything else looks good as it has since my RP of August of 2000.

Wow, what a relief.

Take care all and be safe,

Ben

Congratulations, Ben.
It's good to hear that it's stopped growing for the time being.
Enjoy your reprieve!

Ross said:
I don't know Ben, I've got a 3.5 going on in the abdomen and while it's just a baby, I'm petrified after having the ascending blow.

While it is good news to hear it has stabilized and they don't want to look at it again for a year; I am sending a request to my doc to have it looked at again in 6 months and we can go from there.
If it still hasn't changed any then; I'll be up for waiting a year to look again.

Ben

Mike C said:
Im a little confused:

Where is it? I would have assumed they replaced your ascending aorta up to arch previously, is it the arch?

also, are they unsure as to growth or size? which i beleive you mention is 5cm.

Yes, a portion of the ascending aorta was replaced when they did the Ross 7 years ago. This stabilized growth was from the ascending into the arch.

As far as growth, we had an MRI and a CT scan we compared 6 months ago that showed a growth of 4mm in one year. Comparing two differing types of scans is not always completely accurate. It is always best to compare alike scans. i.e CT for CT or MRI for MRI.
And yes, due to my large frame & stature, they aren't completely sure what the correct size for my ascending aorta and arch should be.

Six months ago the surgeon, Pettersen, was very positive the developed tissue surrounding the heart would help stabilize any growth that may be happening.

Another point Dr. P had; he is currently recommending to his BAV patients to have the whole arch replaced when he goes in to perform AVR.

Hope that clears up things.

Ben

Ben Smith said:
While it is good news to hear it has stabilized and they don't want to look at it again for a year; I am sending a request to my doc to have it looked at again in 6 months and we can go from there.
If it still hasn't changed any then; I'll be up for waiting a year to look again.

Ben
Personally, I think this is the prudent thing to do.

Good move!

Good move!

Ben Smith said:

Ben
This makes sense to me, not only for your physical well being, but for your piece of mind.:) I hope your insurance company sees it that way!:rolleyes:

Lucky you.

Mine went from 4.3 to 5.0 in less than a year and a half. From what I have read, AHA recommends surgery at 5 cm or even less if there are other issues. I think the growth in mine was scary to the surgeon, so if you have stabilized, you are probably good.

Good luck with it.

Well Ben...
I was diagnosed with a 4.9 cm ascending aortic aneurysm. They watched it for 6 mos. and the radiologists could not agree if it had changed or not. They sent me to the Cleveland Clinic and my cardiologist, Dr. Hammer, and surgeon Dr. Lytle immediately agreed that I needed surgery. The sooner the better was their opinion. So... within 2 mos. (Jan. 10), I had aortic root replacement to the carotids (at the arch) and aortic valve repair.

There was no discusssion about waiting or watching. I am a healthy 48 yr. old with absolutely not symptoms at all so it was quite a shock and I guess divine intervention that it was even found.

The surgery is "big time" without a doubt, but the younger and healthier you are, the easier it is to recover from it.

I went for the consultation expecting them to say we will just watch this and have scans every 6 mos. That did not happen!

Anyway, the guys at CC are the best in my opinion.....I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted.

Linda D.

linda d. said:
Well Ben...
I went for the consultation expecting them to say we will just watch this and have scans every 6 mos. That did not happen!

Anyway, the guys at CC are the best in my opinion.....I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted.

Linda D.

Cleveland Clinic is where I go for every check-up. It's only three hour drive and worth it to get the best care around.

Ben

Latest posts

Back