CT Scan Reports - how detailed?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesMom

Hi everyone,

I've had two open heart surgeries. The last was an AVR/aneurysm repair in 1999. Thanks to my lovely BAV, I developed a second aneurysm in the ascending aorta that in 2012 measured 4.5 cm. I also have aneurysmal dilatations at the origins of the braciocephalic, left common carotid and left subclavian arteries.

I have my annual CT/echo/cardio appointment in a couple of weeks so I was looking through my old CT reports. After several years of detailed reports giving exact measurements, I noticed that the reports in 2013 and 2014 gave no precise measurements - they just noted the aorta is stable.

Now I know "stable" is a good word so I ain't complainin' one bit. However, is it normal to have a CT report without specific measurements? If I get that same "stable" comment this year, should I press my cardio to have the radiologist give it a second look to give measurements? Or am I being too much of a worrier? Knowing me, I probably am. : )

Hope everyone's well. Thanks in advance for any comments.

The test generally costs $1-3K, it's not asking too much to have actual measurements in the report. I would ask in advance, though it can be done after the fact. Prior to my aneurysm repair, my surgeon showed me the CT scan of my aneurysm and measured it on his computer right in front of me.

There are some tests that have a "detailed" report, and a "summary" report. Perhaps they provided you with the summary report..
If so, ask for the detailed report.

Thanks, Don and Rob. I'm the first to admit I'm very anxious about the aneurysm but didn't know if I was being too much of a worrywart. I wonder if the aneurysm is just hard to visualize, but they always gave precise measurements prior to 2013. Who knows?

Again, thanks for the advice. I always feel better when the tests are done and I get the all clear for another year. : )

Take care, everyone.

Back