CT Scan Measurements

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth

Thanks to everyone who's responded to my earlier post. I'm looking to get more information in the form of measurements. Since my Bentall procedure surgery in June of 2008 I've had constant pounding against my sternum and vibrations through my bones. My issue isn't about valve noise, it's about pounding against bone.

I'm posting a CT scan image taken after my surgery, it's a top view looking down. The distance from my sternum to my mechanical aortic valve is 2.7cm. The total distance from my spine to my sternum measures 10.3cm. If you look at these measurements on a ruler they are very small. I don't know what is typical or common.

I'm wondering what measurements those of you on VR.com have (and if you have the pounding against your sternum). If you have CT scans, and can get measurements from sternum to aortic valve, and from spine to sternum, will you please share them with me. You can either post them here or PM them to me. Thanks so much.
~Seth

0023_blank.jpg

Seth, I don't believe I have ever seen one of those before. Do they think if you had a tissue valve that you would not be having this issue or can you get anyone to give you an opinion about it? Can anyone else feel the vibration or just you? I know that would be driving me crazy. Have you sought out any other Dr.'s yet?

Kim

I will have a look thru my big pile of scans and see if I have one to share...I wonder if because you are a thinner person that you are feeling the thumping more than some of our cuddlier members? My valve is quite "thumpy" too, supposedly thats why I take metoprolol to reduce the forcefullness of the thumping. I can absolutely feel my heart pumping easily through my chest and so can others.

I also felt the pounding during post-surgery recovery, even with the metoprolol. Gradually, it subsuded and now at 10 months post, i hardly have the sensation during the day. At night I sometimes listen to the heartbeat as I go to sleep - but, that being said, the night time sensation of pounding is also diminishing. With the valve in disrepair the heart is pushing, pushing, and pushing more to get that blood moving. It takes some time for the heart to learn that it is better now and doesn't have to work so hard.
Keep consulting with your cardio person. I was scared as can be when I first felt the pound but, in my current book, it's one of those "normal" things that improve with time - part of the healing process.

Kim, yes the pounding can be felt by anyone toughing my chest and collar bones. The other day I noticed the zipper of the jacket I was wearing – the pull tab was jumping with every beat of my heart. I have not gotten another opinion yet, I'm collecting my medical records to submit to doctors.

Ton, I hope you find a scan and can get some measurements from it. I don't have anything to compare my scans to and I'm interested in what find.

Gerrys, I'm so glad your pounding sensation has improved so well. Seems to me that's how it should be.

Kim, yes the pounding can be felt by anyone toughing my chest and collar bones. The other day I noticed the zipper of the jacket I was wearing ? the pull tab was jumping with every beat of my heart. I have not gotten another opinion yet, I'm collecting my medical records to submit to doctors.

Ton, I hope you find a scan and can get some measurements from it. I don't have anything to compare my scans to and I'm interested in what find.

Gerrys, I'm so glad your pounding sensation has improved so well. Seems to me that's how it should be.

Hi Seth... I can't comment on the mechanical valves, but even before I had my PVR I could see my heart beating through my shirt (and while I'm not a large person, I'm not that tiny either). If I was wearing something with a pocket and had a pen or a phone or something in it, you could see it moving in time with my heart. It's been quite a party trick!

Maybe you've always had a very strong heartbeat, but you're only just really noticing it now because of the new valve and because you're just more attuned to your heart overall. Still, it sounds like a rather unusual sensation and I imagine it would be quite difficult to get used to.

Meanwhile, I don't know that I've got scans from that angle to check... I only remember seeing them from the front/back, rather than top/bottom views.

Seth,

My doc said its a change in the anatomy. Working on the conduit required moving things around and it's not a cushy tube like the fleshy aorta it replaced. At least not for the moment becuase it is slowing being coated with new cells. It's not difficult for me to feel a change when I inhale deeply at which point the pounding is tranmitted in the collar area and then still holding in the air force the air down into my diafram, at which point the pounding fades to almost none at all. When the air is in the upper lung area the lung pushes the aorta closer to the sternum and collar bones. He "thinks" it will diminish over time. I know it has beome less noticable since I left the hospital 7 weeks ago.

It might be interesting if you can see how your aorta is routed in a side scan view relative to your lungs and sternum. Also have you noticed any improvement since surgery?

Vincent
BAVR with 27mm ON-X with aortic conduit NYP Weill Cornell Dec 19, 2008.

PS. I am not a medical professional or a doctor. My comments in this forum are my own opinion and are not intended to be given as medical or professional advise or a recommendation of any valve choice. Decisions that affect your health and wellbeing are ultimately yours and your doctors. vprnet

Thump thump thump

Thump thump thump

I am still hoping someone will be able to share their measurements with me.

abbanabba,
Thanks for posting and sharing your experience. Jumping zippers and pens are a bit of a trick. I may have had a strong heart beat before, but now it's just crazy! You are right, the pounding sensation is difficult to get used to and some times it's tougher to deal with than others, much tougher.

Vincent,
There hasn't been any improvement since the surgery, which in 5 days will be 8 months ago. Or if there has been any improvement it's been so slight I haven't noticed. I don't have any post-surgery side view scans. That's a good point, I'd like to know where the ascending aorta Dacron graft is in relation to my sternum. Maybe I can figure it out from the top view.

Latest posts

Back