Covid Jabs and A Fib

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Drew

Had my replacement 18 months ago but just had 2 bouts of A Fib a month apart and no symptoms.
Both lasted 24 hours
Looking for opinions on whether the jabs could cause A Fib?

Are you sure it was A-Fib? Why did you wait 24 hours before it resolved itself?

It could have been some other arrhythmia (like PVCs) that also send the heart rate way up.

Your issue may be something other than A-Fib.

The next time this happens, call your cardiologist - an ECG will better identify the arrhythmia. If you go to an E.R., they'll probably take you in right away. Something like this should be tracked down and resolved quickly. (They may defibrillate or use a drug (Adenosine) to reset your rhythm).

If it was me, I'd look into this sooner, rather than later. (I had a persistent high heart rate for a few hours, called my cardiologist, he had me come in right away. With no insurance to pay for the in office defibrillation, I went to E.R. and had the Adenosine approach. My insurance paid for an E.R. visit, but not for the in office defibrillator). So, yes, I waited for a few hours. I was symptomatic (unlike you), but I didn't wait TOO long to report it to my doctor.

Had my replacement 18 months ago but just had 2 bouts of A Fib a month apart and no symptoms.
Both lasted 24 hours
When I had what appeared to be A Fib for a couple of days back in 2021 my cardiologist asked if I'd recently had a Covid jab.

Just throwing this into the pot. I have had aFib for years before and after valve replacement surgery. I expect to have it for the rest of my life. 1 month shy of 2 year valve anniversary I received a pacemaker. It sends msgs out. Each visit with pacemaker clinician they ask whether I felt anything on certain dates and times. These are notable aFib incidences. They called me at least once. However these msgs are not transmitted and monitored for immediate responses. IOW if I had a significant incident it would not get immediate attention like being monitored in a hospital. It might not be read in a report until days after. FWIW, the boost of health and vitality I anticipated from a valve replacement, given the surgeon's description of my original, didn't come. I just recovered from the surgery and returned to my life somewhere under zero, (leading up to surgery I was maybe -7?). But when I got the pacemaker I felt a little superhuman until it leveled off. I was used to compensating then had no need for that abundance with the pacemaker. My heart consistently beats at a higher rate now but still goes a little aFib crazy randomly but routinely.

I had Covid vacs and a booster. Never got Covid. Have not had recent updated vacs. As far as anyone said or I experienced Covid vacs have not produced a problem for me.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the afib.

Looks like you may have won the 1/200,000 lottery.

"A total of 2611 events of AF were reported after COVID-19 vaccination, of which, 315 were new-onset AF. As of January 7, 2022, a total of 523.12 million COVID-19 vaccine doses were administered, making the incidence of atrial fibrillation around 5 per million COVID-19 vaccine doses administered"

But also, it should be noted, per the author's comments: "Given that AF is relatively common among those hospitalized with COVID-19, with a prevalence of around 10%, the low incidence of AF in patients receiving vaccines for COVID-19 is reassuring"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...1 events,COVID-19 vaccine doses administered.

But also, it should be noted,
Resists putting up a post by "a Doctor"
IMG_20231203_215342.jpg

I've been immunised twice in the early days. Never had any problems. Then after over a year I was working with a friend on an engine and then he tells me the next day he had tested positive in the morning (feel he had a flu the day before). I couldn't positively identify having any symptoms, but I isolated anyway.

Then a few months later my tachycardia started.

Coincidence or correlation?
🤷‍♂️

Personally I'm glad I had my shots ages ago.

Personally it sounds like coincidence but may be related. I got diabetes 2 months after getting Covid and it appears to be an 85% thing with studies. I am talking about the disease and not the vaccination. I had 4 patients in the last 3 years develop electrical conduction problems in heart and had to have pacemakers put in. Once again the disease and not the vaccination. It may all be true and unrelated since already had a pre-existing cardiac condition.

Have they checked your ejection fraction? I don't/haven't had AFib (although according to my pacemaker, I've had a few brief bouts of tachycardia - my latest lasted for a stunning 6 seconds).

My EF was on a path down - from around 40 to below 30 in about a year. My pacemaker was replaced with a bulky pacemaker with defibrillator built into it - apparently to jump start my heart if it went into continuous tachycardia.

My pacemaker came with a Merlin At Home - a device that interrogates the pacemaker during the night. If you're not near the device, it can't detect rhythm problems, so it won't notify your cardiologist.

The newest ones from Abbott (I didn't get one of these, although they are available) can be monitored by your phone and, possibly, can detect and report serious issues - but I don't know if you have to keep the app alive at all times to take advantage of this.

I've had arrhythmias that concerned me and was able to transmit the recorded data through my Merlin At Home - but had to be near the unit to do this.

My pacemaker is set at 85 - which seems pretty high. Originally, it was supposed to keep my PVCs from happening as much as they did. Maybe it does -- but I still get them.

It's possible that your pacemaker needs to be readjusted -- AFIK it may make adjustments after you get the pacemaker and settings may have to change to compensate for these changes.

Also - if your EF has declined, this may also help explain why you're not feeling the benefits from the pacemaker that you did when it was first implanted.

This is 4 patients out of how many? How does this compare to the rate of people with similar problems out of the standard population?

In other words - how firm is the connection between Covid, vaccinations, non-vaccinated and the incidence of this issue -- and how does this compare to the general population? (And, of course, I'm not really expecting an answer about this - just some thoughts from this one time Epidemiology student and part time epidemiologist at a hospital).

Staying out of the overall vaccine debate, but this seems like an, “After, therefore because”, fallacy. I’ve been cardioverted twice for irregular heart beats that would not self correct. Both were well over a decade before Covid was even a thing.

I think having a congenital heart defect probably doesn’t help our chances of avoiding such things vs the general population.

Had my fifth (or sixth?) Moderna COVID jab and didn't notice anything unusual afterwards. I have sporadic aflutter and my doctor assures me I've had afib although hell if I could tell the difference. Regardless, following vaccines for COVID, flu, and pneumonia I haven't experienced any cardiac anomalies. That said, my wife (who has never had a surgery, let alone OHS) is consistently down and out for a couple of days after even the flu vax. A long way of saying, YMMV.

Personally it sounds like coincidence but may be related. I got diabetes 2 months after getting Covid and it appears to be an 85% thing with studies. I am talking about the disease and not the vaccination. I had 4 patients in the last 3 years develop electrical conduction problems in heart and had to have pacemakers put in. Once again the disease and not the vaccination. It may all be true and unrelated since already had a pre-existing cardiac condition.
Covid has been related to Heart issues and awaken Diabetes. Most of the heart issues have been Heart murmur. I feel it woke the genes of those people that would have had those issues eventually, but for triggered by the covid virus. And not the vaccine. Many follow the fake misinformation from unreliable sources.

Interesting

Were these people unvaccinated?
Yes they were vaccinated forget how many they have had. They were all in their 80’s and have never had electrical heart block issues before. They all got pacers, everyone lives better electrically. It’s pretty common from my understanding it attacks heart, brain, and in my case the pancreas. I am going to retire this summer so OHS, Covid times 2, diabetes didn’t take me out of work , I am going of my own volition. Bought a new truck and new 120mm refractor travel scope going to do some astrophotography at dark sites.

Tony

Both lasted 24 hours

A few questions:
1) How did you know you were in A Fib twice for 24hrs each time with no symptoms?
2) How far away was it from you valve replacement when you experienced your A Fib episodes?
3) How far away was it from your jabs when you experienced your A Fib episodes?
4) Why do you believe the jabs may have caused A Fib in your case?
5) Have you ruled out the other risks of A Fib being a factor or cause?
6) What did your doctor say and how was your A Fib treated?

Back