Couple of Concerns

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

OrlandoTommy

Im about 9 months out of OHS for my Aortic Valve Replacment.
About a month ago i finally got up the nerve to start running, my cardio doc and sugegons both said it was fine to start again.

I jog about 3.8 miles every night, Mon - Sat taking Sundays off.

I live on the 2nd floor in a condo so i have to walk up steps to get to my door so after my run i walk up the steps and my legs feel SUPER stiff like they cant bend well, it only lasts a few minutes then goes away.

Then i will usually sit at my computer for a minute and my fingers feel stiff to, another thing that lasts a few minutes and goes away.

Also sometimes my Jaw feels stiff, like if i try to open and close my mouth it just feels weird, not any type of pain, just somewhat stiff and slow.

Like i said, these symptoms usually go away within about 5+ minutes. I have talked to some friends and some say i need to stretch before and after and some say go to the ER and get a EKG and a ECHO!

I just had a EKG at my cardio doc about a month ago in Tampa and he said i was doing fantastic, he said i looked great and my EKG was fine. I asked him for a echo and he said i didnt need one, hes ranked as one of the best Cardiologists in all of Tampa so i didnt doubt what he said.

My heart rate is usually around 170-180 when i run and quickly drops back down when im done running.

My blood pressure is around 130/73 most of the time.

Im taking Toprol XL 25 mg once a day and Coumadin 8.5 mg once a day.

My Coumadin levels are at 3.0 almost all the time, recommended 2.5-3.5.

Should i be worrying about anything here, is this normal, does anyone else feel stiff after a 30-35 minute workout?

Also i have been feeling a little bit off lately with my balance, im not sure why, its probably anxiety because ive been worrying about the stiffness.

Here is the funny thing though, when im running, i feel awesome and perfect, its just after the run i feel weird sometimes.

Thanks as always for any advice,
Tommy
:confused:

I felt stiff, tired, and out of breadth after doing anything strenuous for over a year post-op. I would feel fine during the activity but once I stopped, that's when it would catch up to me. It's probably the body's way of reminding you that it's still healling. I think it will take some time to get your full strength and stamina back. Best wishes and good luck.

You're doing fine, you just worry too much.

Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry, be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......

(Bobby McFerrin)

I have some issues after strenuous workouts (running, as well), but not with the same symptoms. I feel pretty out of breath when I finish working out, but not during. Wayne said it perfectly - like my body is trying to catch up. I have also had the stiffness in my hands an legs, but that has just been during the past few weeks, so I assume it has something to do with the temperature getting colder. That should be less of an issue in Orlando. I have noticed that my recovery is much better when I keep my HR down in the 150-160 range. Has your Cardiologist cleared you to take yours up to the 170-180 mark? A person's BP can increase quite a bit during exercise (with HR being one of the contributing factors), so perhaps you're feeling the effects of your BP dropping off when you finish exercising.

I'm limited to 145-150 HR. You might want to try holding the rate down a bit and see if your side effects lessen.

Peace,
Ruth

I dont know how to get the rate down really, when i jog its at that rate, even before my surgery it was at that rate..
Thanks,
Tommy
:cool:

OrlandoTommy said:
I dont know how to get the rate down really, when i jog its at that rate, even before my surgery it was at that rate..
Thanks,
Tommy
:cool:

Do you use a HR monitor when you run? Sometimes that helped me when I was training for my first marathon. When I ran a lot, I always had a habit of starting out too fast and dropping off pace towards the end. A running buddy loaned me his when we ran together, he set it for me, and as long as I did not hear the beeps, I was in the correct range. The hardest thing for me to do is run slow. Now if I listen to music while running,(we know we're not supposed to do that) depending on the song, my pace picks up.

Oh how I'm itching to run again! :D

Gday Tommy,

I have not had trouble after runs ( a little bit puffed) but like you have had trouble getting back into running. I get scared and suffer anxiety ie chest tightness which I worry about and on and on it goes. By the way I have been cleared. All I can say is that the worry passes. I am 7 months post Op and yesterday ran 18 km in the morning and although a little tired felt great afterwards. I think this is because I keep my heart rate under 160. My cardioligist in Queensland Aus said the best way for me to get fit again ( which could take a year or more) is long and slow. I did not like the advice at first but it is working - I apply this priniple when running and mountain biking. On another note - I wish they would prep heart patients for the anxiety attached to the recovery - it seems to be a massive issue and one that is overlooked. I have had to go on anti-anxiety drugs a couple of months ago as I worried about every little symptom. E.g a bit of chest pain - I thought I had an aortic aneurysm or any other condition I saw on this site. Totally illogical but when you are recovering your mind just takes over. Hope you get back into your running.

Stevo

Hi Tommy,

Just take your time; try not to worry about the numbers game; and just "listen to your body." I heard that quote from my surgeon,and my cardiologist,and my primary care physician. 7 years past, 5 marathons later, and more road races then I can count, and I am still alive and able to check in now and then on this sight.

One other bit of advice ... I don't look at myself any different then anyone else, nor do I need advantage or sympathy, because I have an AVR. I just take my coumadin, put one foot in front of the other and walk out the door.

Goodluck! Your doing fine!!

... Mark

I agree with Mark (I usually do - he's my hero:D ). The first year is not a time to sweat (pun intended) times or speed, or to push hard. Just go out and have fun. If you feel a little punk, back off a bit, perhaps not run every day. Enjoy!! :)

Latest posts

Back