Coumadin/Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peachy

I am still doing research into the type of heart valve I should choose. Being in Scotland I don't have much choice. Mechanical or if I'm lucky I might be able to get a pig valve. I am waiting to see the Surgeon but have discussed things briefly with the Cardiologist. I said that I didn't want a mechanical valve as I don't want to take anticoagulants. He recommended the mechanical valve and said that anyway I might have to take anticoagulants if I get a pig valve. All the research I have done seems to suggest that a biological valve doesn't require anticoagulants. I was wondering if anyone who has had received a biological valve has to take Coumadin or Warfarin as it is known here in the UK. I know that it might be necessary to take an asprin a day but I could cope with this.

Hi Peachy,

I have a mechanical heart valve and I do take Coumadin. I have not had any problems with taking this drug. I seem to stablize my INR range eassily. The key for me is to be consistant in both activity level and diet.

Your doctor is correct. There are people who chose a non mechanical valve type end up having to take Coumadin after surgery. However, in some cases, they do not have to take it for the rest of their life. I am sure you will be hearing from others on here that either have or are on Coumadin and do not have a mechanical heart valve.

Good luck with your search and selection,

Rob

To Peachy Re: warfarin

To Peachy Re: warfarin

Hi Peachy, I have a St. Jude Mechanical mitral and take coumadin. Once you find your dose its only a minor inconvenience. I have a friend who opted for a bio valve but post surgery he had atrial fibrillation, so he has to take coumadin even with his bio valve. If you have a persistent arrythmia post op it is prescribed and arrythmias are very common after open heart valve surgery. Marty

I've had two biologicals; a homograft in 1990 and a stentless pig valve last month.

Neither the homograft nor the stentless require coumadin.

Everything I've read indicates the standard procedure is to prescribe coumadin for the few days at the bare minimum. This last go around, they took me off coumadin after 3 days or so.

I was off coumadin within three weeks in my first surgery.

They used to (I'm sure many still do) will keep you on it for a few months, but they eventually get you off it.

I'm not positive, but I believe they keep you on it for a few months or longer for stented pig valves. Again, I know for a fact that they take you off of coumadin after a time. They often put these into pregnant women or women planning to have babies within a couple of years. They do so because they are easy to put in (low risk) and you cannot be on coumadin while pregnant. They also put stented valves into the elderly to avoid blood thinning complications and because they last a long time in older hearts.

Biological valves do not require the ongoing use of coumadin unless there are other medical factors which may require it.

This is a fact. I would suggest you ask your doctor if he suggests that you could be on coumadin long term because of some other medical reason? Or if he/she meant you would be anticoagulated temporarily post-op? I would talk to another surgeon if you have your heart set on a biological.

It sounds like there maybe is a little more to this story than he/she's telling you. Either they are not skilled in biologicals (no reason for this in this day and age) or maybe there is some other reason they are pushing you towards a mechanical. I do not know what they are, but I understand there are some circumstances which will not allow use of some valve types. A homograft, for example, typically requires replacement of the entire aortic root. Perhaps they are trying to avoid something like that?
Kev

Hi Peachy - I had a stentless pig valve and haven't been on warfarin at all. I had atrial fibrillation for a while after my op and wasn't put on it then either (though I think it is sometimes prescribed when someone has A-fib). Good luck with your dealings with the doctors.

waiting for an appointment

waiting for an appointment

Hi Peachy
I see you are still waiting for an appointment to see the surgeon, you could try telephoning his secretary and ask how long you will have to wait I did this and my appointment came through quicker It does no harm to remind them you are waiting we may be NHS paitents but we still deserve to be treated as people Regards
Jan

Latest posts

Back