Coumadin Dosing Strategy - Question for Mr. Lodwick

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Christina,

If I am recalling correctly, you take supplements, eat Chinese veggies and exercise on a regular basis?

My guess, your higher daily dose to nothing more than dietary and exercise. Which, BTW I commend you for. Chinese veggies are extremly high in K. More so than spinich.

If you have a moment, list your supplements. Just curious.

Thanks

veggies high in K

veggies high in K

Dear Gina & christine ,its my understanding that spincah
& brocolli have the highest amount og Vitiman K .
I found out that mayonaise and oils also contain
a large amount of vitiman K . The key to the drug is
consistency i eat greens almost every day and my inr
has been very consitent for the past 6 months.
Good health to all :) dara
Dr valentin Fuster ( my angel )
Dr griepp surgoen
Tricuspid valve repalcement
FEb 9th2001

I think that the most I have seen on a consistent basis - that I believe the patient - is 25 mg/day.

I gave a talk a couple of years ago and several people in the audience knew someone who was taking 105 mg/day. It was a small city and they referred to the person by name and many in the audience had been caregivers for him.

My word Al. Hope you will share with us what that patient consumes on a regular basis. Must be some of granny's 'good ol' pot liquor.

My hematologist back in Memphis told me a story of an old lady that would take 10mg a day and consistently have an INR of that of someone not on Coumadin. 1.0? Anyway, they were insisting, this after a few hospitalizations that she was not taking her meds. Come to find out that she decided to drink the liquid from her collard greens when after is boiled out. She thought, heck since I can't eat it....might as well drink it. She really did not realize all of the nutrients were in the broth! Could be an honest mistake to some. I have a few more good ones. Will save them for Vegas. :). My hemotoligst loved to share those stories with me, as I enjoyed hearing them

I almost wrote about another story but I'm saving it for Vegas, too.

Will write it for everyone else after the meeting.

allodwick said:
Please everyone remember --THE DOSE OF WARFARIN IS NOT IMPORTANT. ONLY THE INR MATTERS.

Sherrin - the fact that your doctor is testing you every day shows that (s)he does not know how warfarin works. It takes about 3 days to see the full effect of a dosage change. When you test and change the dose every day the dose will NEVER stabilize. You have to look at what the dose was for the past 7 days, then make any changes from that and then try it for a week and see what happens.

I've tested over 1,500 people (15,000 tests in the past 5 years) and I can guarantee you that testing every day is just like a puppy chasing its tail.

You need a referral to someone who understands warfarin dosing.

You were right about the inr. After the second day they decided to wait a week before testing again. Then on thur & fri after I got out the hosp. the week before all the antibodic they were pumping into had my system all messed up. And on friday went I went to exercise I passed out for the lack of fluids. And I have felt awful since. I am so tired ,all I want to do is sleep. They ran a bunch of blood tests, they should be back by next week.
Thanks for listening,
Sherrin

Latest posts

Back