Coumadin and diet

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

karen wallin

Can anyone help me on the diet issue? What veggies can we eat when we are on Coumadin? I know the dark green leafy ones are OUT, I really miss my broccoli and salads.:confused:

Thanks
Karen

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the board!

Green leafy veggies do not have to be eliminated from your diet. You can eat them, and your doctor can adjust your dosage of Coumadin to compensate for the Vit. K content of the veggies.

The most important thing to remember is that if you are going to eat high Vit K content foods, then you should do it with regularity.
Consistancy in your diet is the key. So, if you want to eat brocilli on Monday Weds, and Friday, then do it every week, and with the same amounts. That way you have a consistant diet and your medication can be adjusted.

There are several good Coumadin sites that will provide you with a list of high Vit K content foods. You should review these lists and make notes of those food you enjoy that are ones with High Vit K.

Here is a site that Al has with good information about Coumadin.

http://www.warfarinfo.com/warfarinfo.com2.htm

Here is a site to obtain the Vit K content of common foods.

http://www.coumadin.com/consumer/INT_VitaminK1.asp

You can also get the USDA report of Vit K content in foods. (I use this list often)

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/Other/pt104.pdf

Hope this helps.

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Karin and welcome a board.

I am on 20mg of Coumadin a day, and eat whatever green vegies I can get my hands on, but always in moderation. I love my vegies, and refuse to go without, plus we need the green vegies to stay healthy. My doctor told me right from the start to eat what I was used to eating and that the Coumadin would be adjusted accordingly. I also take all the necessary daily supplements, but omit the herbal stuff. I do my own INR testing at home with the Protime machine, and test whenever I think I need to test. At least once a week, sometimes twice. I want to be safe.
I realize I am on quite a bit of Coumadin but I don't know how I metabolize vitamin K and Coumadin, I don't think anyone knows that. This is just how it works for me to stay within range. I feel safe at an INR of 4 and under. Doesn't always work out though, but we try hard.. LOL!!!
Anyways, I hope this helps, and please come often.

Christina
Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St. Jude's Mechanical
Coumadin 20mg a day.

coumadin and diet

coumadin and diet

Hi there,
Thanks for the speedy replys. I have been cutting out the green leafys for a while now in hopes of getting my coumadin levels level. I seem to run on the low side even without the green goodies. My doctor seems to not want me on too high of a dose of coumadin, right now I take 7 1/2 4 days and 10 3 days a week. I go for my levels Monday or Tuesday. I would love to get back on green veggies as I worry about calcium. I would also love to get one of those nifty machines to test myself at home, but again my doctor is against that. Wish I could get things on an even keel it is scary thinking about getting a clot.:(

Well thanks again and I will surely be back again and again, this site seems very friendly and informative.

Karen

I agree with Nancy. Eat pretty much what you want and adjust the warfarin to fit your diet. It is so much easier to do than the other way around. Just do not make sudden changes - like going on a broccoli diet to lose weight. It you go out to eat and the salad bar looks good and you over do it, then eat corn or beans or something not green the next day. The INR is a guideline. You will not bleed or clot the instant your INR varies outside of it. Of course, try to stay in as much as you can but do not become obsessed with the vitamin K content of every bite.

coumadin and diet

coumadin and diet

Hi,
Your replys are making me feel less worried about eating a piece of broccoli or having a salad once in a while. I will be careful though and not go on a binge.

I also have another question, does traveling and increased activity have any effect on the coumadin levels?

thanks again everyone
Karen :)

Hi Karen
"Does traveling and increased activity have any effect on the coumadin levels"?

In my experiences...yes travel effects my levels. But then again...tend to enjoy myself too much. So....??.

To air on the side of caution have yourself tested prior to your trip, then again after you return. Increased activity seems to lower the INR. Heat, i.e., sunbathing has increased and decreased my INR. Just depends on the amount of activity vs. exposure. And trying to keep that consistent is impossible. My lifestyle defiantly is not consistent. You will find what is right for you with some fine tuning.

There was an article in American Journal of Cardiology about two years ago in which the authors reported on a study that showed that people who had artificial valves implanted needed more warfarin as time went on to keep the INR in the desired range. I call this the "You're Getting Better! Then I will have to Increase your Warfarin Dose Syndrome." The reason for this is that as you get better, you will eat more and exercise more. Eating more increases the intake of vitamin K. When your activity increases, you pump blood through your liver more efficiently. This is where warfarin is metabolized. Thus, the need for a higher dose. I wrote a letter to the editor in response to this article agreeing with their findings. It was two years ago and nobody ever wrote back to say, "...you dummy ..."

If you have not done so, please look at my website www.warfarinfo.com

Travel usually effects warfarin. They key to good warfarin management is a steady routine. By definition, travel, having company, getting away for a weekend are all breaks from routine. Fortunately the body is usually reilient enough to withstand these short assaults.

Back