Coumadin and Anemia

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

HI folks,
I had a retired Dr. friend tell me he thinks I look anemic. He said being on Coumadin puts me at increased risk of anemia. Have any of you found this to be true? He also said that just being on Coumadin can make you feel like crap. I have very low energy most of the time.

Nothing I have read about warfarin or in this forum supports your doctor friend's opinion. There are a lot of misconceptions about coumadin, aka warfarin and thoughts about its effects and the way to use warfarin have changed in the last 15 years. I believe there are a lot of things that can make you tired and have low energy and there are other common causes of anemia. A quick search shows the NIH gives these causes, none of which are related to the effects of coumadin:
  • Blood loss
  • Lack of red blood cell production
  • High rates of red blood cell destruction

Never heard of either of these side effects before. How long has your MD friend been retired? I have never had anemia....my energy level is greater than most of my friends....and I've been on warfarin(Coumadin) longer than most.

Hi Guest

just being on Coumadin can make you feel like crap

well don't discount the placebo effect, if you are told that this sugar pill will fix your pain evidence suggests that it can. What I'm suggesting is that if you believe it will make you feel crap probably it will.

was the Dr friend a medical doctor or a person with a PhD (such as in literature). If they are a physician then its really good that they are retired now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...e-in-the-mind/

Placebo Effect: A Cure in the Mind

Belief is powerful medicine, even if the treatment itself is a sham.

I get anaemia and need to take iron tablets, but I am a premenopausal woman. Lots of women need their iron topping up, and being on warfarin doesn't help. I don't think I would be anaemic if I was male or post menopausal, but possibly would be even if I was not on warfarin.

I also don't think that being on warfarin makes you feel bad, but lots of people taking warfarin have underlying medical conditions and so are generally less healthy than the average person of the same age. Although there are lots of exceptions to this on this forum. Most warfarin patients have not had a valve replacement.

My sister and I both have had AVR recently and are on Coumadin. She is now on iron pills due to low iron. I haven't been tested. We are both pre-menopause.

Latest posts

Back