Coumadin and a bleeding ulcer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwhitney

Has anyone else taken coumadin and had to deal with an ulcer? This past March during all of the testing to find out about the state of my pulmonary valve it was discovered that I have a bleeding gastric ulcer. I did not have it before I had surgery the first time so, I was just wondering if ths was a side effect of coumadin and if taking coumadin could increase the chances of bleeding if you have an ulcer when you begin taking coumadin. I have looked at every coumadin reference I could find and cannnot find any specific info on coumadin and gastric ulcers. Anyone who has found something like this please let me know.

Joe had a small ulcer several years ago. They put him on an antibiotic, can't remember which one, and he's on Prevacid, probably for life. He's always being checked out for gastrointestinal bleeding because he has hemolytic anemia. So I know that fixing up your ulcer should be front and center. I hope you are being treated for it. You could lose a lot of blood, in a chronic way, if it isn't treated. Anemia is not a good thing.

Nancy,

I have been taking Prevacid twice a day along with Axid twice a day and Mag Ox 400 mg three times a day since March. All this so I can have surgery without bleeding when they put me on by-pass

Lettitia

Warfarin will not cause bleeding, but it will sure keep it going once it gets started.

The most common drugs to cause ulcers are cortisone-like agents, aspirin and ibuprofen.

The most common non-drug cause is stress.

If you get put on Prev-Pak - get your INR tested after three doses. In some people it causes the INR to increase.

Thanks Al,

I know that stress caused my ulcer. I tested negative for the bacteria that causes ulcers. i was mostly concerned about the ulcer not completely healing and the coumadin making me bleed.

Lettitia

Back