Coughing spell and subsequent chest pain

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon4me

I'm 6 or 7 weeks out and I am getting over a chest cold. I had a really bad coughing spell in the middle of the night last night. I thought I was going to cough up a lung. Ever since that coughing episode, I have had more chest pain in my sternum and over my heart since then and also hurts more when I do cough now. Seems a little scary to me like did I cough the stitches in my valve loose? Then common sense took over and realized I couldn't do that 6 weeks post op. So I really don't know why I am experiencing more pain since that coughing spell.

From an objective observer:

Why wouldn't you feel pain 6 weeks post-op, after a coughing fit?
If it was that easy to loosen the stitches, doctors would be warning against any type of activity. Just think, if you need stitches for a laceration, they usually take them out after 7-10 days.
Maybe a phone-call to the surgeon, cardio, nurse, will put your mind at ease.

Don't worry! I had a terrible cough around 6 weeks post op and was worried about the same thing as you (stitches). I asked my cardio and he said the cough won't do anything to them.

I had the same problem. My allergies started kicking as soon as the pain was leaving. Try hugging a pillow like they told you in post-op. It can help. Even at 18 months out, if I get a good coughing fit, I get reminded of my sternum.

My chest pain is a little better today because I had a good nights sleep with no coughing spell that I can remember. I had a couple today though.

Your chest muscles are still healing and will be for some time from the trauma of OHS. Put a pillow on your chest when you cough and it might ease some of the pain. And the coughing will go away in due time. Just be sure to use the pillow on the chest and it can help out some. And you will feel better soon. hang in there and hugs for today. :)

Just curious, could my coughing and mucous production be a remnant of the anesthesia and irritation from the breathing tube in my lungs? Ive heard others on here say sometimes it takes seceral months for the lungs to clear. My coughing still continues to be productive after a 10 day regimen of antibiotics. I will be so happy when this crud is gone. My walking on the treadmill continues to improve in speed and elevation daily.

I vote for chest muscles as the source of the pain. I suspect that they are roughly handled during surgery and spend little time putting them back together.
OR even a rib. I woke up one day a couple years ago with pain in my chest that turned out to be a broken rib. I have no idea how it happened. And, I met a guy this week who broke a rib while golfing.

Latest posts

Back