Cortisone Shots?????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooker

Chillin, just chillin....
Supporting Member
I posted some time back about shoulder pain. Well on my last trip to my PCP he said he would send me to an orthopedic doc because of coumadine and the chance of bleeding with this type of shot (deep).

Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks,

Tom

I can only tell you about epidural"s in which case I was sent to a radiologist by a orthopedic Doc to have these shots. I did have to go off coumadin for 5 days prior and bridge with Lovenox.

This was because of the spinal canal being involved which is very dangerous if any blood gets in there.

I would ask your Cardiologist, I don't see where the orthopedic will be able to advise you. Maybe they could consult with each other. Wouldn't that be somrthing different for a change.

My PCP has given me a steroid shot once for a bad URI, no bleeding, but it did increase my INR.

He mentioned giving me a shot of a noninflammatory drug once into a nerve in my foot, but said he'd rather send me to an orthopedic surgeon to have it done, because it would probably cause some bleeding and since he doesn't ordinarily give that type of injection, he'd rather someone who does such more frequently give it to me.
Luckily, the problem went away and I haven't had any more problems.

Hi Tom,

I had cortisone injections into both my shoulders while on Coumadin...for frozen shoulder and for arthritis. Did not seem to cause any problem other than the site did bleed a little more than they usually do (per the RN) . They did not ask me to go off of Coumadin. The one for the frozen shoulder was a very deep shot. (the doc kept telling me to breathe!, Breathe! I guess I must have appeared like I was going to pass out.)

The shots did help enormously with the pain. However, If I were going to have another one I would be sure to take some Ativan and some tylenol or something stronger before hand.

Good luck with your shoulder.

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that I also had a series of cortisone shots into my foot for plantar fascitis while on Coumadin with no problems. Again, the site bled a little more, but nothing a bandaid couldn't deal with.

My advice to my patients is to make sure that the doctor who is going to give the shot is aware that you are on warfarin before you show up before the shot. Don't assume that because it is on your med list that it got noticed. It is too easy for the doctor to get distracted and miss it. Follow the advice of the doctor who is going to give the shot.

My PCP sent me to an orthopedic doctor in late april for a sore left upper arm..he gave me a cortisone shot in my shoulder ..quit hurting before I got home..never hurt again..yes, he knew I was on coumadin. No bleeding..Bonnie

Cooker

Cooker

Forgot to ask..Your being only 5 1/2 months post-op .is this shoulder pain something other than from surgery?:confused: ....I'm 4 years plus..post-op and I knew I had done something to my upper arm..other than the surgery....It took me a full year to get my body back into shape from the surgery. I would have never gone during that year...to get a cortisone shot.. I knew when I had overdone something..like driving, lifting wet clothes from washer, ect..Body would heal itself..:) and I would say..Don't do that again.:p Bonnie

Latest posts

Back