cortisone shot with replaced valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilyofthewest

It's been recommended that I get a cortisone shot in my left shoulder for relief of arthritis pain. But I haven't been able to find any information on whether this is a good idea, considering I have a bovine tissue valve. There are some warnings that such shots increase the chances of afib. I did have this for a short time after my surgery and sure don't want it to return. Also cortisone can increase chances of stroke and some other heart issues.

My shoulder has no cartilage left (bone on bone) and probably requires a total shoulder replacement, but cortisone was suggested as an interim possibility. But I can live with the pain for now if this is going to cause heart problems.

So does anyone with a replaced valve have experience with cortisone shots?

It's been recommended that I get a cortisone shot in my left shoulder for relief of arthritis pain. But I haven't been able to find any information on whether this is a good idea, considering I have a bovine tissue valve. There are some warnings that such shots increase the chances of afib. I did have this for a short time after my surgery and sure don't want it to return. Also cortisone can increase chances of stroke and some other heart issues.

My shoulder has no cartilage left (bone on bone) and probably requires a total shoulder replacement, but cortisone was suggested as an interim possibility. But I can live with the pain for now if this is going to cause heart problems.

So does anyone with a replaced valve have experience with cortisone shots?
I had new mechanical valve put in 2011. Since then I had 2 cortisone shots in shoulder, maybe 3 in left knee, that was replaced in 2020 and 1 shot in right knee that will need replacement in the future, bone on bone. No isses with the shot.

Shoulder is holding on, but I am told if and when it needs replacement, will need a reverse shoulder replacement as one rotator cuff is no longer attached and the other is barely attached. Hoping not to have it done.

Back