Conundrum?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

vinny123

Hi folks,

Approximately three and a half years ago (2005) I had two Echocardiograms performed at two very highly regarded hospitals (Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital and the Cleveland Clinic) within two weeks of each other. At that time both Echos revealed that my aortic root was approximately 3.4cm and was within the normal range. All other cardiac parameters were within the normal range including having a tricuspid valve.

However, in December 2008 I experienced a brief paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and an echocardiogram at the ER revealed a mild dilitation of the aortic root (measure of 3.8cm) and the sinus of valsalva (4.0cm). Subsequently I sent cds with the results of the 2005 and 2008 echocardiogram results to John Hopkins, the Cleveland Clinic, New York University Medical Center and Mt. Sinai Hospital (as well as being examined at two of these hospitals) to obtain independent evaulations and comparisons of the results.The feedback was interesting. All four experts at these hospitals independently concluded that the 2005 echocardiogram results indicating that the aortic root was 3.4 was inaccurate and was actually 3.8 and 4.0 at the sinus of valsalva, the same diameters as measured in 2008! I was also informed that based on my body surface area my mildly dilated aortic root was not perceived as being a problem and that the likelihood of experiencing an aortic dissection and/or need for an aortic repair in the future (I am 62 years old) was not very likely, especially with a tricuspid valve and no evidence of aortic stenosis.

In May I had a stress test with echocardiogram at one of these highly regarded echo labs and these numbers were confirmed again. I plan to have a cardiac MRI in the near future to obtain a more accurate and detailed measure of the aorta. Although a CT scan is considered the gold standard, unfortunately each CT scan of the aorta gives off inordinate levels of ionizing radiation increasing the risk of cancer, as I have been informed by several physicians.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Vinny

Latest posts

Back