Contraception choices for mechanical valves with heavy periods

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madsometimes

Since having my mechanical valve put in, I have been suffering heavy and frequent periods, and am now a little anaemic (Hb is 9.8). I also have migraine with aura, a PFO and am in flutter.

Most first line treatments for heavy periods are hormonal. I think Mirena is often suggested (IUS with progesterone), or contraceptive implants, pills or injections.

I am quite nervous about Mirena because of the endocarditis risk fom the coil, and am also worried about the side effects of hormonal contraception. Obviously, these risks fade in nothing compared to pregnancy.

I was wondering what contraceptive choices other women with mechanical valves have made.

I didnt want more children before or after my 1st OHS at age 39.. I also suffered extremley heavy & painful pms ..so 4 months after OHS I had a Novasure endometrial ablation and that solved the contraception and heavy pms problem...hope this info helps...

Had you tried hormonal treatments first and they were unsuccessful, or did you just not want hormonal treatment?

I quite like the sound of ablation, but it would be high risk for me, because I have a pacemaker. Don't you also need to use contraception? There seems to be a system called Adiana on the novasure website but I don't know anything about it.

yes i did the hormone thing and it was a mess so gyn and cardiologist said ablation instead of hysterectomy and that has been a good decision for me.

I have heard of a few good stories re: ablation. I also have a friend who had a mirena IUD put in to control heavy bleeding (she too had valve replacement surgery) but it was done before she had the surgery. They said it wasn't a problem keeping it in after the fact, but I don't know all the details. Yes, even after an ablation you have to consider contraceptive methods.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back