Contaminated Protime Cuvette?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina

Hello to all Protime users... Any of you had the following problem yet?

Am on vacation at the moment and took my Protime machine with me. Did a test last Friday and everything worked as before.
Did another test Tuesday but tested pretty high (6.1 Whoh, NEVER been this high) I knew why though because my vitamin K intake had not been consistant plus also have had some "schnapps",so I thought lets have a spinach omelet for breakfast and a large green salad for lunch to change that reading and then test again in the afternoon. That's how you can manipulate this and INR changes within approx. 6 hours after you consume vitamin K. I certainly did not want to call these results in to my doctor as he probably would have instructed me to skip 48 hours. Not a good plan as I metabolize Coumadin quickly and my INR drops significantly within hours. Anyhow, I did another test in the afternoon and followed the prompts. The machine would tell me to put in the cuvette and a second later it would tell me to take it out. This happened over and over; really strange, and I did not do anything differently. Could not make it work so I called QAS and talked to the tech department. They instructed me to recharge the battery, although the battery was not low at the time.
Next morning I decided to use a new cuvette from the same LOT # and everything worked fine to my surprise. What I believe was wrong was that the previous cuvette must have been contaminated somehow and the Protime machine rejected it. My INR was 4.8 but I am feeling MAVALOUS!
Am having another green salad with spinach tonight. Another Peach Schnapps sounds pretty good to me as well, but will save the best for later.:D :D :D

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

Last edited:
Cuvette rejections

Cuvette rejections

Hi Christina,

This happened to me once also. But in my case, it kept rejecting the cuvette after I inserted it and it was due to the battery being low. Maybe that's why the tech guy suggested that. Anyway, I plugged it into the wall and put the cuvette back in and it worked fine with the same cuvette that had been rejected just moments before.

Other than that, my machine is a trooper and has worked just fine.

Hi Christina,

I have not had that message on my ProtIme, and have been using it weekly for over a year.

I am glad that the unit does promt you with a message and refuse to test if the testing strip, (couvette), is bad, or if the batteries are low.

I have my cardiologist appointment in a few weeks, and I usually bring my Protime with me to test against lab results for my yearly appointment. I'll keep you posted on my results. Last year they were within 1/10th of a decimal. PRotime was 2.3 lab was 2.4

Hope you make youself a great weekend!

Rob

Hank,
I forgot to mention that I also plugged the unit into the wall and it kept rejecting the cuvette, so I believe it was not that the battery was too low. I showed more than half full. It only excepted a brand new cuvette the next morning when I tried. But I did recharge the battery as was suggested by QAS technical department. It works like a charm again and I couldn't be happier with my Protime.
I'll be home again next week, but you guys never noticed I was gone, did you? :D :D

Hope you are well.

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's mechanical

Latest posts

Back