Concern About My Dosage

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MichelleS

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get opinions on my recent INR results and the dosage my doc has told me to take.

I take a fairly large dose of coumadin in the first place because I'm on a seizure medication called Tegretol. I was steady for quite a while taking 8 mg per day. Two weeks ago my INR was 2.3. My doctor told me to take 10 mg per day on the following Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the usual 8 mg the rest of the week. He also told me to test again in a week.

I took the 10 mgs three times and 8 the rest, but waited ten days to to get tested because during the middle of that week I went to the dentist and it's been my experience that the antibiotics impact my INR.

To make a long story short, I tested Monday and the result was 3.1, which is right in range. However, my doc wants me to continue the 10 mg. three times a week and get tested again in two weeks. (To be honest, I was to take the 10 mg on Monday but had already taken my 8mg before they called and didn't take the extra 2.)

I'm just a bit concerned about him bumping up my daily dosage that much when I'm in range. Am I worrying too much?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Hope everyone is well.

All the best,
Michelle

I'd continue with what the Doc ordered, but when you test again, be sure to tell them about the 8mg dose that should have been 10. I don't think it's a big deal, so long as they know exactly what you've taken. ;)

ooppss, I missed the Tegretol part! My bad. Thanks Al.

Last edited:
Concern About My Dosage

Hi Al,

Thanks for the great information. I've been on Tegretol for about a year and a half. It took them a few weeks to stablize my INR initially, but since then I've been pretty lucky overall. I was just concerned that adding an extra 6mg of coumadin per week even for a couple of weeks seemed a bit much when my INR is in range.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Michelle

Generally your dose should only need to go up or down by 10-15% (rarely 20%). Bigger jumps than that make you wonder if the person dosing your warfarin has any idea what they are doing.

Latest posts

Back