Common cold & coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoeey2011

Hi, I have a cold which I have had for a week. I am getting better but just wondering if the cold will affect my INR. My INR level last week was 3.5 and I asked my doctor if the cold would affect my levels of INR and she said it could affect it slightly. I test once a month and my INR is pretty stable staying between 3.0 and 3.5. I had Aortice valve replaced in Feb 2011 and my INR has been stable for over a year now. There are a lot of people on this site that have been taking coumadin for a long time and would appreciate your feedback.

I don't believe that the common cold has ever had a direct affect on my INR. However, there may be a small effect due to cold meds, diet and activity change due to the cold, etc. Whatever the affect, it has been minimal.....for me.

Dick, thank you so much for the reply. I was hoping that you would send me feedback as I see that you are a long time survivor and have good experience with coumadin. This is my second heart surgery. I had a tissue valve in 2005 but had to have it replaced last February. I was not comfortable with the idea of being on coumadin but so far it has not been an issue for me. I was concerned me having this cold but you have confirmed what my doctor told me so I feel much better. I am not sure if the effect will be lower or higher INR but either way since I am at 3.5 should not be a problem. I live in Barrie, Ontario so I test at a lab once a month.

Take care

Sue

Latest posts

Back