colonoscopy and heparin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinmaker

I have a question. I know that some on here have their colonoscopies done while on coumadin but this has to do with those of us who do the bridging. Years ago I would use the Lovenox injections and have always had horrible hematomas in my abdomen from them. The last time was the last straw. I couldn't walk, sit, or sleep because of the pain from the hematomas. I swore to never use them again. So it was back to going in the hospital for an IV drip of heparin. My insurance has never questioned me using the IV drip and the associated cost but with times like they are...is it likely that the insurance company is going to start making me use the Lovenox again? Has anyone ever heard of having this sort of skin reaction to the Lovenox injections? Thanks for any insight. Linda

You need to find a Gastro that doesn't require you to come off Coumadin.

As far as the Lovenox, some people are super sensitive to it. A lot has to do with injection technique also. If there is even a drop of the solution on the needle when it's inserted, it's black and blue city. How do you inject yourself?

I have a nursing background, so I'm pretty sure I'm injecting it properly. I lay down, swab with alcohol and let the alcohol dry really good, hold a piece of belly fat between my thumb and finger, inject the solution, don't rub the area after injecting. I also don't get the air bubble out before I inject. Am I forgetting anything? The pain (and I mean DEEP pain) that I have for weeks after I finish this stuff is crippling.

You need to find a Gastro that doesn't require you to come off Coumadin.

As far as the Lovenox, some people are super sensitive to it. A lot has to do with injection technique also. If there is even a drop of the solution on the needle when it's inserted, it's black and blue city. How do you inject yourself?

I had mine done, and didn't come off coumadin.

I have a nursing background, so I'm pretty sure I'm injecting it properly. I lay down, swab with alcohol and let the alcohol dry really good, hold a piece of belly fat between my thumb and finger, inject the solution, don't rub the area after injecting. I also don't get the air bubble out before I inject. Am I forgetting anything? The pain (and I mean DEEP pain) that I have for weeks after I finish this stuff is crippling.

No, your doing it right. You must be one of those that are hypersensitive to the stuff. You might ask if any of the other possible LMWH's might be more suitable.

Back