cognitive deficits

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can probably find a link to a study that shows similar impairment when drinking too much fruit punch. I'm kinda being a smart ass but on a serious note there has been some legitimate studies that show open heart surgery is damaging to the brain. Every person is affected differently. I'm sure there is some truth to these articles but at this point if you need this surgery to live you have no choice but to risk brain damage.

My take is that some risk has been identified. This can assist in finding ways to mitigate that risk (once it is understood and even clearly identified as a risk which it currently isn't)

There are many risks with OHS, which is why it is not nor should be undertaken lightly.

Were you under the impression that there were no risks? You initial post was quite scant of input.

I'm new to this, but I guess I'm not surprised that there is some risk. As a scientist, I scanned both articles and was surprised by the low numbers studied in both (30 and 40). That doesn't mean the data is not valid or useful, but it may need to be considered as a part of a larger pool of similar studies. You know how the media jumps on these and it's "coffee is good for you" this week and "coffee is bad for you next week".

Danguy, the several folks who responded above to your question are "tellin it like it is". "Statistics" must be carefully evaluated in terms of their
applicability and such small studies, I believe, should be taken with a grain of salt. Educating yourself about the realities of OHS is a good idea, but
please don't be unduly influenced--on this or anything--by little bits of information.

Seeing the big picture is very important to anyone embarking on these surgeries. There are inherent possible dangers. But if this surgery is life-saving and life-enhancing, focus your attention and your energy on seeing it through. The rest of your life will meet up with you on the other end and you'll be in the best possible place, mentally, physically, and spiritually, to move on to the new challenges and rewards!

I had some 'pump head' after both my surgeries. More so my first than my second four years later.
I was slower with numbers and sometimes found myself searching for the right word or name.
It improved quickly and seeing I was not employed outside my home, it was not a problem in terms of my work.
I was always very good with numbers and loved accounting so I was particularly aware when I was slower.
Most surgeons and cardiologist acknowledge that like so much having to do with OHS, we are all different and will have varying situations with the surgery.
Almost all agree it just about always resolves well and rather promptly if one experiences it at all.

Seems finer filters on the pump has helped avoiding it in recent years.

I have been on the heart lung machine 3 times at age 6, 25 and 44. I definitely think that I had pump head after my third surgery. I am also good at math and had trouble short term after surgery. It is not unusual if I can not think of someone's name even if I have known them for years. I am also a little ADHD. I don't think that I am much different than one of my sisters and she has never had OHS.

Debbie

I seem to have problem with playing chess. My rating on some chess server now, 2 monthes after the surgery, is under 800 vs around 1000 before. I am now (proud to be :) the worst player of about 1000 participants. It is not the chess which is important but what else I do now much worse than before the surgery?

its quite possible that being on the pump effects some brain cells. But the brain is a remarkably fault tolerant and self rebuilding thing. I'd say that if you have lost something that you can just do some "training" and build it back up.

The brain re-wires and re-builds on demand.

I think you're right Pellicle, I've read some interesting stuff on neuroplasticity - all I have to do now is get into the habit of doing some brain work-outs!!!

I have more trouble doing math in my head and remembering names, titles etc. since the surgery. It has gotten better but not fully back to "normal." The name thing was a problem before but it's worse, mostly embarassing, especially with coworkers I see infrequently. As far as math, before surgery it took me 20 minutes to do and write out 8 bills/checks to mail; about 2 weeks after surgery it took 1 hour, now I am back to 20 minutes. Although simple math is fine, more complex things like percentage change I am still having trouble with. I still take a lot longer to figure out the tip at a resturant. It's been 14 months since surgery.

Hello, I certainly believe that I have aquired cognitive impairment as a reult of heart surgery. I had my first valve replacement in the middle of O levels at the age of 15. I worked hard and managed to get into the top streams, but never managed to regain my previous ability following surgery. I was never sure if the damage was completely due to surgery? I suspect that heart failure, Disease process, blood pressure problems and even some cardiac drugs affect cognition. Personally I welcome research into the subject, as it might increase understanding; particularly at school, work and University.

I work as a staff Nurse and care for people who have neurological diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis. From a positive perspective my experience has enabled me to have empathy for my patients; who also struggle with the frustrations associated with cognitive impairment.

Best wishes Dave Moore

I'm (18) months out from my AVR surgery and have been very aware of this possibility and paying attention to my memory just as a curiosity thing I guess (it is what it is at this point is how I look at it overall). I have to say though I have times where I just can't think of a name or something like that, but I have also noted those times are when I am more tired than usual. Plus, I've always been lousy at remembering names -- I'm a numbers person and work with them every day. That sees to be the same as pre surgery. Overall, my memory seems to be at least as good if not better than pre-surgery.

I agree that the studies seem to be pretty small and very preliminary. One thing I've learned about studies, there is one for everything and a researcher ready to get a grant to chase them. So, who knows if there is anything too this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The idea of pump head is not new and though it likely is still being studied and people are still seeking grants, this is not a new concept.

I discussed this with my surgeon ten years ago and the idea wasn't new then.

Latest posts

Back